Replacement window glass sources?

No Signals

My MW tonight for no apparent reason decided to open up a hairline crack across a windscreen pane, yes ok it will have had a stone knock or chip I didnt notice at some time. Are there any ready sources of 'correct' glass for these or will it do to go to my local glass merchant and get a piece cut to size and toughened. Under all the paint layers will I likely find it fitted with putty or something similar? Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

You'll more likely want laminated glass rather than toughened in your windscreen.

Most window places should be able to sort this out as it's commonly used in homes. Best to get one that can grind the edge after cutting as it reduces the chances of cracking.

They should also be able to sort you out with self adhesive glazing strip(foam) or putty on a roll of paper. Much easier than using the gun type sealants and less messy.

Plant glazing places are also used to dealing with odd sized flat glass cut to size.

I'd avoid the Auto Windscreen places, they just want to charge you the earth on the assumption that insurance are paying for it.

I needed replacement rear windows for my WOA2 and went to Caversham Glass in Reading, who cut 2 replacement windows out of laminated glass from an old one as a pattern, for less than £10. I did try Car Windscreen companies first who either didn't want to know or wanted to charge me over £100.

Would be a bit more expensive now Tony - there was a price increase on all glass just recently & the cost went up - depending on type and thickness - between 20 & 60% .

No Signals - laminated is usually a better choice for this useage but depending on the tickness of the glass you're looking for you may have to go for toughened as that can be made in almost any gauge you require whereas lam is only available in a few - we used to use a lot of 5.4mm although that doen't seem to be as widely available now and we usually get 6.4mm . Then there's 7mm but that's getting too thick for windscreens etc as it'll be a job to get in the frame . Think I've also seen 4mm lam in the dim and distant . A lot of the stuff we used to fit went in on a neoprene gasket with the frame elements being pressed onto opposing edges then trimming off the excess gasket . If you can't get hold of some gasket (or re-use what you have ) you can buy a black silicone sealant as an alternative . Obviously you'll have to leave that to cure & a bit of masking and careful trimming will give you a nice neat weatherproof job but you will need to check that it is one of the variants suitable to exterior use . (Apologies if I'm trying to teach you how to suck your eggs here . :) )

No Signals - laminated is usually a better choice for this useage ....etc...... (Apologies if I'm trying to teach you how to suck your eggs here . :) )

Its ok mate, nothing wrong with good advice. It could all be useful to a reader who doesn't know anything. That is what is good about this site, lots of sound advice willingly shared.