The Victory Show

Rick W

This show is a must for me, it really is one of the best.

More info on http://www.victoryshow.co.uk

Quote from Paul Dalby the pyro man

"This year the AFRA team are providing the main event and choreographing the battle display each day. Our team have just completed a final site visit to plan the display and incorporate the required elements. 2009 is particularly special as the Vulcan Bomber will give a display culminating in a recreation of the bomb run on Port Stanley which was the only time a Vulcan was used operationally. AFRA will recreate 21 1,000lb bombs being dropped from 300ft with the plane travelling at 500knots. This is a first and probably a last! Alongside this we are putting on the biggest WWII battle yet with over 10 German armoured vehicles including a replica PzIII and 5 replica 222 armoured cars as well as troop carriers and other historic vehicles in convoy. An astounding battery of EIGHT - yes EIGHT 25lber guns will be in operation manned by the most Excellent Garrison Living History Group. Two Shermans and a Chaffee will provide Allied Firepower and the South Wales Borderers will have their Bren Carrier on the field. Add to this American halftracks and a host of jeeps, kubels and motorcycles this promises to be a busy extravaganza"

The Belgian section of "The Garrison" will be there , known as the 1st Belgian Field Battery.

We joined The Garrison at a training session , at Tilbury Fort , met them at Normandy , Ver-sur-Mer , where they had built gun emplacements for the famous 25 Pounder guns, and for a firing demonstration at Trungy , where the regiment had their gun emplacements during WW 2

www.1stbelgianfieldbattery.be

I was with Maurice Hammond yesterday and he showed me the proposed running schedule for the aircraft displays.

From memory it included Vulcan XH558, Hammond P-51, Old Flying Machine P-51 and Spit, BBMF, B-17 Sally B and a Hurricane from memory, but dont quote me.

Quite what the Vulcan's place at the WWII Victory Show is, I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt their will be many complaints - Especially if the pyro-display planned for the low level run comes off as planned!

I went on Saturday and enjoyed it very much. Good airshow and great to see so many 25 pdrs in action.

Even 'her in doors' found plenty of stalls selling fashion etc, which I said should have been taken up by a more useful 'military' stalls!

The only thing that slightly annoyed me was the parking arrangements. They took the entry fee from drivers as soon as they pulled in to the field - so of course the traffic behind was backed up all the way from Cosby! It took me 30 minutes to get less than half a mile because of that. They should have got cars parked asap then let the people get their entry ticket from a separate hut.

Going home and getting out of the field with only one exit caused a few log jams of cars. If only they could have had another exit for cars wanting to turn left out of the car park it would have emptied much quicker!

Something to remember if any of you arrange a new event.

The only thing that slightly annoyed me was the parking arrangements. They took the entry fee from drivers as soon as they pulled in to the field - so of course the traffic behind was backed up all the way from Cosby! It took me 30 minutes to get less than half a mile because of that. They should have got cars parked asap then let the people get their entry ticket from a separate hut.

Going home and getting out of the field with only one exit caused a few log jams of cars. If only they could have had another exit for cars wanting to turn left out of the car park it would have emptied much quicker!

I think they were just over-whelmed by the number of people trying to get in and had to open up other fields. Some put estimates at about 20,000 in comparison to the Sunday that saw around 5,000. Thats the draw of the Vulcan.

There is a second exit at the bottom of the 3rd field and I went straight out through it on the Sunday avoiding the queue trying to get out through the entrance. I agree it was not clear & perhaps they could have got some of the cadets to help.