Cutomized Pig MKII

Mikdogedog

My Scammell Explorer was painted pink by a previous owner, not to my taste, and it's now green again, no problem!

I have another Explorer which has been used for spares, but if I won the lottery, it would end up with a large diesel engine, stainless bodywork, polished hardwood body, and a large Hiab, maybe? Otherwise it might be broken up to continue keeping others on the road, either option is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Broken transmission on the Pigs is hardly a new problem, and has always been a fault. Fit different axles to cope with a large engine? There must be something adaptable in the States.

Jules

Can this discussion be drawn to a conclusion now please ?

The owner of this vehicle made it fairly clear what the plans were for it when he first joined this forum as far as I can recall . If it were a particularly rare machine - ie the only one of it's kind left - then perhaps the insults which have been directed at it's creator could have been justified , although I think not under any circumstances myself , however it is not . Yes , there aren't that many of them , but there are still enough to preserve an historical resource and this particular vehicle could be returned to it's previous state at any time in the future . We should all have the freedon of choice to preserve our vehicles in whichever way we choose whether it be as an exact copy of the day they left the factory , the way they looked on D day plus five or on the day you dragged it out of the scrappies . I think that perhaps our American friends have a rather more broadminded approach to their car culture and we should bear this in mind .

I see that mike has, so far , only made ten posts . What kind of a welcome are these comments to a relatively new member ? What kind of an impression of this forum and of us it's members does this give ?

Can we not now draw a veil over this episode and perhaps attempt to be a little more tolerant and accepting in future ?

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
:coffee:I think we have a duty to preserve theses vehicles & show respect to those who served in them.

There is some truth in that statement,but really it should be down to the government to play a more active part in that instead of trying to forget it happened.Then we should do what we like with what we have and enjoy the freedom those poor boys gave us.cw.

There is some truth in that statement,but really it should be down to the government to play a more active part in that instead of trying to forget it happened.Then we should do what we like with what we have and enjoy the freedom those poor boys gave us.cw.

Hmm - this response might be getting a bit close to the "political" side of things but. I'm afraid CW this will never happen as it would mean them actually acknowledging and admitting these event happened and thus removes their ability to rewrite the history books as time passes.

Hmm - this response might be getting a bit close to the "political" side of things but. I'm afraid CW this will never happen as it would mean them actually acknowledging and admitting these event happened and thus removes their ability to rewrite the history books as time passes.

You could be correct there Neil.

Can this discussion be drawn to a conclusion now please ?

The owner of this vehicle made it fairly clear what the plans were for it when he first joined this forum as far as I can recall . If it were a particularly rare machine - ie the only one of it's kind left - then perhaps the insults which have been directed at it's creator could have been justified , although I think not under any circumstances myself , however it is not . Yes , there aren't that many of them , but there are still enough to preserve an historical resource and this particular vehicle could be returned to it's previous state at any time in the future . We should all have the freedon of choice to preserve our vehicles in whichever way we choose whether it be as an exact copy of the day they left the factory , the way they looked on D day plus five or on the day you dragged it out of the scrappies . I think that perhaps our American friends have a rather more broadminded approach to their car culture and we should bear this in mind .

I see that mike has, so far , only made ten posts . What kind of a welcome are these comments to a relatively new member ? What kind of an impression of this forum and of us it's members does this give ?

Can we not now draw a veil over this episode and perhaps attempt to be a little more tolerant and accepting in future ?

Mike's original post stated..

Check out this baby and let us know what you think

Not...

Check out this baby and let us know what you think, but positive comments only..

When Mike posted this up in another thread & received similar comments he said..

"Sorry if we hurt your feelings and no apologies needed, every one has the right to their opinion"

the insults which have been directed at it's creator

No one has made a personal attack on Mike or faulting the workmanship that has gone into it... just stating that some don't like what's been done to the vehicle... not much difference to the "Originality" thread & I haven't seen any complaints about that one..

Edited by Marmite!!

Ready for the scrap man... maybe a custom car forum would be more suited to your hobby, as said before this one is for restoration/preservation of MV's:coffee:

No ones made an attack....Mmm, I thought the above was reasonably negative, actually telling him where to go! and it's definitely lacking a bit of constructive criticism, not the usual good natured HMVF banter we are used too.

You should be sent to the club house bogs and given latrine duties, making sure you use your own toothbrush to clean the crevices!

Edited by Adam Elsdon

I thought the above was reasonably negative, actually telling him where to go! and it's lacking a bit of constructive criticism, not the usual good natured HMVF banter :n00b:.

I was pointing out that in my opinion he would get a better responce from that sort of forum.... I can't see him getting much help from those that know these vehicles as it will be totally non original running gear at the end of the day... as said no insult was intended & I had made similar comments in another thread he posted & he didn't have a problem then... I have PM'd Mike to ask if he has a problem with any of my comments, if he does then I will address them..

I can't see much difference between this thread & the "Originality" thread... I'm sure feelings may of been hurt in comments made about Mv's there...

As said you either love it or hate it... me the later. There's a couple on here who think that as a Moderator I should not have an opinion & bite my tounge.. well there wouldn't be much point of me being here If that was the case.. don't forget I was just an ordinary member for a long time before Jack asked me to be a moderator, all that has changed is that I try help to keep the forum running smoothly & keep the spammers out...

Just a reminder of how the moderating system works..

As said before no one man moderates a post/thread, it is always put in the "Moderating Folder" where it is discussed & a final discision is made, Jack has the final word.

mmm...I've been watching this thread for while now, and been scared to comment :)

Its a real shame if you as a moderator were not allowed to have an opinion or offer advice on the forum you joined as a plain ol' member! It is always the case that folk with experience or knowledge in the subject end up moderating.

For me, folks' opinions, good or bad, positive or negative are what helps me, as a newcomer to the MV scene to decide what is right for me and my vehicles, bearing in mind my budget and capabilities.

If I turned up on a Ferrari forum (chance would be a fine thing) with a blinged out Ferrari Limo I would most certainly expect some critiscm despit the tremendous amount of work I had put into it (and yes, there is a F40 limo out there somewhere!).

I am sure like evryone agrees, Mike has put a tremendous amount of work into his pig and it seems a top job, but to the purists (and many non-purists) it is more a curiosity and amusement than anything else. I am sure he would not turn up at a military show, as that is most likley not his scene, but it does not mean we cannot offer him advice?

Thanks for the feedback. None of you hurt my feeling (although I think some tried), Catweazle said it best I think, this truck would be sitting in a field in California rotting away and now we take it to car shows and explain what it is. Now all of a sudden, there are MANY Americans learning about the history of this British Military vehicle and I think that is the root of the preservation movement.

Thanks for ALL the "private" emails i have received in support of this vehicle and I will be posting the pics of another we are working on for a Police SWAT vehcile.

Good day Mates

Cheers,

Michael

If I turned up on a Ferrari forum (chance would be a fine thing) with a blinged out Ferrari Limo I would most certainly expect some critiscm despit the tremendous amount of work I had put into it (?

Be carefull what you wish for,this appeals to my warped sence of humour ,i would love to turn up at a military show and watch every:rofl:one squrm.

ferrari-tank.jpg

Is this where you got your inspiration for the Champ from :)

Keep up mate that was a hoax,got fed up people telling me not to do it,so lead them all on.New one turned up in shed been there 25 yrs so hope yet.:cool2:

• 1 month later...