Antony

Bomb Winch.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea which kind of aeroplane this winch was used in. I assume it would have been used in an aeroplane rather than a bomb truck. I hope to take some usable pictures of the plates on it to post later.

Antony.

HPIM0074.jpg

HPIM0079.jpg

I hope these pictures are reasonable, the Gyral Winch plate under Type reads, 500 LBS. Whilst the AM plate reads under Type 600LBS, with a date of 11.9.44.

Antony.

My pictures.jpg

My Pictures_0001.jpg

Antony I last came accross a winch of this "general "pattern in 1973 at Akrotiri they came in several versions weight - connecters etc

Some fixed into a hard point mount in the bomb bay the cable then passed down and would attach to the bomb or weapon and it would be wound up. Larger ones often used in pairs or 4s they could also be part of the weapon trolley see attached; a winch on each upright member.

TED

800px-Grand_Slam_bomb.jpg

Thanks Ted, I am impressed with the speed of your response, and particularly your picture! I hope someone may have a suggestion about aircraft type.

Antony.

I am normally not that fast but not much else to do at the minute I am laid low with flu and fluid on my lungs waiting for swab tests to come back !!

I will have a look for further examples in my books but I am dripping on everything deep joy

TED

Is that a Buccaneer in the background of your photo Ted?

i am laid low with flu so rather than scan any of my books I just "borrowed" a piccy from the tinternet it certainly looks like a Buc but I don't know where ?? sorry

TED

Winches like this up to 4000lbs. used on Shackletons Mk1 and 2. So I would guess Lincolns, Lancs, Manchesters used 'em.