Naval question Rms/SS/HMS?

Rick W

Trying to do a bit of research on fathers side. His grandfather was quite high up in the merchant navy. He served at some point on a ship called Mooltan, but it seems to have changed its title. In some cases referred to as S.S. Mooltan and others as HMS. Why are some called SS, RMS and HMS. Did they get their titles changed at the same time? In the meantime if anyone has any good links on getting merchant navy records etc, could you let me know.

Thanks.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Trying to do a bit of research on fathers side. His grandfather was quite high up in the merchant navy. He served at some point on a ship called Mooltan, but it seems to have changed its title. In some cases referred to as S.S. Mooltan and others as HMS. Why are some called SS, RMS and HMS. Did they get their titles changed at the same time? In the meantime if anyone has any good links on getting merchant navy records etc, could you let me know.

Thanks.

Rick go to the Military power boat trust website,go to the forum i saw something about merchant navy there this evening(see i do have other places to go:rofl:) they would help i am sure,you may have to sign in,its a great place if you like boats.cw.

HMS His/Her Majesty's Ship- Vessels owned and operated by the Crown

RMS- Royal Mail Steamer/ship- These were vessels whose civillian owners had a warrant from the Royal Mail to caryy mail and dispatches. this granted certain priviliges to the owners/vessels.

SS- Steam Ship, standard prefix for civillian vessel

MV- Motor Vessel, same as above but an oil burning engine.

You may also see civillian ships flying a Blue Ensign. These are either organisations granted the privilige by the Crown, such as Trinity house, P.L.A. or a vessel whose Captain is a member of what used to be R.N.V.R. or R.N.R. The old Royal Mail Steamer/ferry Ceasera used to fly this when one Captain had her but not the other.

All a bit of maratime one upmanship now.

When Mooltan was an armed merchant cruiser she was renamed HMS Mooltan. Not unusual, it was happening to ships of all shapes and sizes and it was easy to leave the original MN name. Looks like she didn't stay in the role for long and became a troopship - which means she may also have had the prefix HMT (if I am correct) - had she stayed on the Admiralty's roster, but it looks like she went back to being a civvy ship.

MB