Wanted, Help with Air Pipe Unions

Zero-Five-Two

Hoping someone can assist me with an Air Pipe Union Problem on my Tanker.

Pipe connections and unions use a very fine thread, as shown below, making it very easy to get a problem.

20190819_202842.thumb.jpg.d8bfb7ec40d61e29ae31d48848be66e9.jpg

20190819_202636.thumb.jpg.02794a94b1c2ca181d09ac8538a77482.jpg

As you can see in the second picture,  I've had a bit of an issue while removing the lock nut. Thread inside the nut is in a similar condition

The ideal solution would be to find a new union and lock nut, if anyone has a spare.  Or, a tap and die to recut these or make new ones,

I'm not sure what size it is, even.  Measures approximately 7/8" diameter.

Thanks for looking, all advice gratefully received

9 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Is it a palm coupling union Rob?

Yes mate, it is. Service line at the front, so not a major disaster. Union on the pipe is good, and I do have a spare short thread fitting. But it really needs the longer bulkhead one with locknut to mount it onto the chassis. 

I could replace the whole thing with a modern one,  but I'm trying to keep it as original as possible with the fine thread

Rob,

I almost certainly have a bulkhead fitting as shown.  If not, I can make one quite easily as I should have the 26 TPI die (or whatever TPI it is).  Can you just confirm the O/D and length of the fine thread.  The coarse end is 1/2 BSP.

John

It looks like you could use the Martian type.   The male threads would match both ends, they have just substituted a coarser thread where it runs through the bumper to a locknut, so one coarse thread locknut and you are done.

It is quite possible they went to a coarse thread at the bumper bore transition exactly because the fine thread locknuts used to seize up and strip all the rest of the thread - just like yours did.

Rob,

This what I have.  The 7/8th 26 TPI thread portion might be a bit short.  I would expect to have a 1/2 BSF lock not to suit the one that Marvinthemartian has.  Alternatively I could make you one.  All I need to know is how long the fine threads should be.

JohnSANY0092.thumb.JPG.8bed124b079dd0d7a294bc51466a894b.JPG

10 hours ago, attleej said:

Rob,

This what I have.  The 7/8th 26 TPI thread portion might be a bit short.  I would expect to have a 1/2 BSF lock not to suit the one that Marvinthemartian has.  Alternatively I could make you one.  All I need to know is how long the fine threads should be.

JohnSANY0092.thumb.JPG.8bed124b079dd0d7a294bc51466a894b.JPG

Having had the verniers accross mine, it is 7/8" and the fine thread is about 1.5" long. The one in your picture looks like it would do, nicely. I'll send you a PM