Old Git

Zimmerit on Cromwells, Operation Epsom

Posted (edited)

Found a wee bit of footage on IWM which shows several Cromwells from, what I believe to be, C Sqn, 2nd Northants Yeomanry, Troops 1 and 2. All of them are sporting some form of Zimmerit on the Turret.

There are at least three indentifiable Cromwells; Achilles T187676 and Agamemnon T187714 (from 1 Trp) and Galahad from 2 Trp (no Census #). Seems as though naming their tanks after ancient warriors was a thing for C Sqn and 1 Troop appears to be all names beginning with A so we can probably assume 2 Trp had a Cromwell named Gwain.

Link below...Have grabbed some stills from this and will try to upload them to the post. Lookout for the ant-magnetic wainscotting in the last couple of frames, 😉

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060008139

Edited by Old Git
adding something

First Still, not sure which Cromwell but from 2 trp

large.2ndNorthhantsCSqn.png.4520318ff4cb0cb213ca0cc25d348b11.png

Second Still shows Achilles

large.Achilles.png.8fbbef1fc5b302804a3f995d54bb2be5.png

Third Still Shows Agamemnon

large.Agamemnon.png.4d89a439124527f925e36d4209255400.png

Last two stills show Galahad

large.Galahad.png.f10b95e5e44c6379d5a7a7e1474ff083.pnglarge.Galahad2.png.521a8379cda8b2fb137d620448449829.png

• Like 1

The wickerwork basket effect on the Crusader AA is also note worthy. I don't recall seeing anything on Zimmerit on British tanks in action, but there it is well spotted. 

According to the link provided by Matchfuzee this isn't a type a of Zimmerit paste on these Cromwells but 'Rubber Strips', I'd like to know the provenance of that assertion because those stills would seem to indicate a paste rather than 'rubber strips', although I concede I may be seeing what I want to see. 

When I first saw this footage I wondered if this Recce unit had over-run a German Maintenance unit and grabbed whatever stores of Zimmerit paste that were laying to hand. I think I'd like to see the war diaries for  2nd Northants to see if there's any reference to this.