US paint colour

Ron

If you search "dark olive" on E-Paint only a BS number no RAL number:-

Colour Range: BS 4800/5252
Colour reference: 10 C 39
Description: Dark olive / Saluki / Seaweed / Riverbed       

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/search_colour.asp

Searching "olive drab" gives you the RAL, BS and other numbers but the olive green is not the same for each number.

Thanks very much for that. I'm respraying a friends military Indian Chief motorcycle. I know I can buy it from the Jeep traders etc, but I much prefer to use the paint from my local auto paint firm. I'll buy a ltr of your recommended colour and see if it give the desired "Goose Turd Green" .  Ron

The article on this Harley says that it has been painted in Federal Standard 383 but there isn't a Federal Standard 383 so,  I assume, that it is really:-

Colour Range: Federal Standard 595
Colour reference: 34094
Description: Green 383 camouflage

https://eu.tallahassee.com/story/news/2017/03/01/local-harley-davidson-techs-vets-build-wwii-themed-bike/98303830/

• 2 months later...

Hi Engima,

I wouldn't say that the crosses are felt material, but rather a coarse/heavy weave red cotton fabric, and the white background, a fairly coarse cotton too. I would guess that making flags in a cotton-polyester material would be better, if you are planning to drive with the flags attached over longer periods of time. Cotton flags will tear at the ends, and fray easier than the poly blend one's will.

Here are pictures of the flags, (I have exactly the same, NOS, flags that I got many years ago from a friend) and close ups so you can see how they are sewn. These flags are very simple and easy to make yourself.

Flag, Ambulance and Marker, Stock No. 5-F-2150:
Primarily used to distinguish Ambulances and Aid Stations protected by the Geneva Convention. The flag or marker consisted of 12-inch Red Cross centered on a White rectangular Field 18 by 27 inches. The flag (when not in use) could be covered by a Case, Flag, Duck, Automobile, Stock No. 5-C-50, the staff was officially designated Flagstaff, Wood, Marker and Marker Pennant,  Stock No. 5-F-6590.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Goran N

2-Vintage-American-Red-Cross-Vehicle-Cloth-Flags-_57 (1).jpg

2-Vintage-American-Red-Cross-Vehicle-Cloth-Flags-_57 (2).jpg

2-Vintage-American-Red-Cross-Vehicle-Cloth-Flags-_57 (3).jpg

2-Vintage-American-Red-Cross-Vehicle-Cloth-Flags-_57 (4).jpg

2-Vintage-American-Red-Cross-Vehicle-Cloth-Flags-_57.jpg

I know of several home made red cross flags with the same problem.

I guess the best way to solve that is to repeatedly  wash the red fabric in high temperature, like 90 degrees C, and dry it it in between, or until it stops bleeding.

Cheaper quality fabric/cloth also has a tendency to bleed, especially on white, like in this case..

Best of luck, my friend, let us know how you're doing

Goran N (a.k.a. Goran WC51)

I suppose that technique was used during WW2 as well. There are many photos showing red cross flags, and markings straight onto buildings, where the red cross was painted on.

The enclosed photo, which shows Pvc Warren Capers, who was awarded the Silver Star for heroism after he had landed in Normandy after D-Day, in his Dodge WC51 ambulance. The red cross marking has clearly been painted onto the canvas of the Dodge. I am contemplating on doing the same with my present canvas cover or my WC51, which has been on that truck since I bought it in 1993 (!). I've repaired one tear, which I caused by accident, and I had to re-impregnate it a few ears ago, after the cover had started dripping slightly when there was really heavy rain.

I have used two cloth red cross flags, that were used by a scout group here in Ssweden, and had eyelets in each corner.. So I tied string onto each corner and fastened it to each side of the rear canvas. The good thing was that it was easy to remove them, but the downside was that they falpped really hard in the wind when driving.

Live long, and prosper,

Goran N

PRIVAT~1.JPG