'36 Fordson pick up

gritineye

It is a cut down Fordson Y type van body, it was not a factory option but various coachbuilders converted vans into a pick up body, ..I don't recall ever seeing any pics or reference to one in Military use, but may well have been commandered during the War by the Home Guard, the only listed Military small Fords of the same period were the larger 10cwt E83W semi forward control 10hp van and utility,

Its so good to see such a nice original condition truck

pic of similar Fordson Y model Van converted into a pick up

sam-roberts-pictures-011_1_orig.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

Probably  WW2  Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS)    ,  I understand during wartime members were paid a wage  + if they used their own car to tow a pump , then they were paid a extra allowance + extra petrol coupons.  ISTR the going £ rate was on the suitability of the vehicle - probably this conversion was a good  £ earner.

I suppose it depends on the size of pump - there were some small ones.

Anna Wolkoff at the start of WW2 joined the AFS ,  she had a small light 2 door Morris convertable , received additional petrol coupons for towing .  She sold it on to Tyler Kent  (he had more or less unrationed petrol from the uS embassy)  - he  crashed it March 1940

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/oct/18/rendezvous-russian-tea-rooms-spyhunter-fashion-designer-paul-willetts-review

This book has a photograph of it  - hitched on a tow-truck crane ,  I will 'borrow' the photograph and post it up for ID , I can't it seems to have coachbuilt bodywork - you may know the radiator etc.

13 minutes ago, super6 said:

I don't think it is a cut down Fordson Y type van body as long rad vans did not have a front bumper or running boards  or wind down door glass

According to the DVLA it was first registered in 1936, here is a photo of another 1936 van with running boards and bumper, back end of body looks identical shape.

Click on space below and picture will appear:

spaceout.gif

Pleased about that , I didn't think it was a Morris radiator  , good it is Ford because this is a preWW2 Ford thread , the Wolkoff / Kent spy story has lots of twists & turns - like was Kent a German spy or for the Russians  ?  probably this author has failed in his research + probably copy/paste from another book  - something to watch out for.

2 hours ago, super6 said:

I don't think it is a cut down Fordson Y type van body as long rad vans did not have a front bumper or running boards  or wind down door glass

This is a Conversion, preumably the customer could order upgrade running boards, bumper whatever spec he wanted when the pick up was built,

Edited by Nick Johns

17 hours ago, Nick Johns said:

This is a Conversion, preumably the customer could order upgrade running boards, bumper whatever spec he wanted when the pick up was built,

Possibly it is a conversion, looking at the originally posted photo and the B&W of the same it's a good conversion. Looking at photos online of the Model Y wind-up windows, running-boards and bumper bars appear the most numerous with sliding windows no bumper or running-boards on some vans. Possible these were optional extras - still a nice vehicle  

I think it hardly matters if it were always civilian , it is very typical of vehicles conscripted  for WW2  -  it would look good with a typical wartime livery scheme + new khaki tilt - esp. if the front chrome bumper was overpainted black or drab.

23 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

According to the DVLA it was first registered in 1936, here is a photo of another 1936 van with running boards and bumper, back end of body looks identical shape.

Click on space below and picture will appear:

spaceout.gif

Paul Becks(as was) 1933 short rad van with large doors, straight bumper and running boards, from the first batch I believe. My source Ford Model Y by Sam Roberts