Imber Village Training Ground

I saw this online and thought it was appropriate for this forum

The link states

"English village that became an exercise area for US troops preparing to invade Europe in 1943 during World War II"

There were several areas of land including villages commandered during WW2 for training areas, Imber village on Salisbury Plain an Tyneham on the Dorset coast, the occupants were given short notice to vacate the villages and have never returned, the areas are still today operational Military training/firing ranges

Imber village is opened occasionally to visitors, the Church being the only original intact building standing there, derilect Tyneham village is open regularly

Edited by Nick Johns

I do not think Kimmeridge was evacuated during WW2 if it was the home owners were allowed to return , it is a functioning village today , there are certainly some beach defenses still there although the sea and weather is taking its toll.

Tyneham Village certainly was evacuated and is now open to the public apart from when the MOD are firing . The church is still there and the restored school house the rest is in ruins , great place to visit.

I do not think Kimmeridge was evacuated during WW2 if it was the home owners were allowed to return , it is a functioning village today , there are certainly some beach defenses still there although the sea and weather is taking its toll.

Tyneham Village certainly was evacuated and is now open to the public apart from when the MOD are firing . The church is still there and the restored school house the rest is in ruins , great place to visit.

Yes correct, doh...typo error here it was Tyneham village not Kimmeridge, I was at both last week

http://www.tynehamopc.org.uk/

Edited by Nick Johns

Imber is usually open to the public over Christmas and Easter, the friends of St Giles church run a very good tea and cakes stall in the church which is very welcome as it's usually freezing.

Tyneham has plaques in each building with details of the last occupants and also details of previous censuses, which is very interesting reading, a short walk from Tyneham is Warbarrow bay with a small machine gun emplacement ( I can't remember what it's called) that looks like a 45 gallon drum with a domed lid.

Well worth a visit, it's one of the most peaceful places I've visited.