Jeep canvas stencils

thedawnpatrol

Hi

I have seen a few jeeps with the hood canvas stencilled with the canvas makers mark, usually on the inside back panel.

Is there any evidence that this is authentic? And what was the usual wording ?

Also looking at the shipping stencil, I notice that other US vehicles like dodges, half tracks etc have ' US Shipping port' above the numbers, but not on Jeeps ?

Your thoughts please

Jules

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=218643

This thread on the G503 forum might help , it would seem that one manufacturer does like to stencil up canvas that is over the top . There is plenty of evidence "Left Hand Drive No Signals " but not much else.

In my humble opinion I would have thought it unlikely that Ford or Willys made there own canvas .

AR850 tells you what the vehicle MUST have on it. So at the least you have some sort of official record.

There are photos of vehicles with shipping cube stencils.. but they would not be 'factory' as most mid/late war jeeps/trucks were shipped in crates.

Once in theater anything goes... local commanders had wide latitude as long as the official AR850 stuff was left alone.

Hi

I have seen a few jeeps with the hood canvas stencilled with the canvas makers mark, usually on the inside back panel.

Is there any evidence that this is authentic? And what was the usual wording ?

Also looking at the shipping stencil, I notice that other US vehicles like dodges, half tracks etc have ' US Shipping port' above the numbers, but not on Jeeps ?

Your thoughts please

Jules

just out of interest my GMC has the original shipping details on it still and it reads P.S.J (this is the shipping company ) N.Y. (New york) P.E ( port of embarkation ) . the men for stencils are http://www.axholmesigns.co.uk

cheers

j

• 2 months later...
What year/model is your GMC? Are you sure it wasn't put together in a 'Little Detroit' and the stencil applied there after reconstruction?

No as it has all the original shipping date 20th april 1945 , it was shipped from N Y to Antwerp {code name Hail }it retains it`s original ORD number and anti freeze fitted date and details of inspection , The details where under coats of newer paint ,the ORD number on the side was under the allied star