Use of NOS Brake Components

Does anyone have any view's on using NOS Brake Hoses and Seals?

Are they likely to perform as well as when new with current fluids?

I suppose the first question is how old is the NoS you are proposing to use and how has it been stored, as a rule of thumb I would suggest anything over 10 to 15 years old should be replaced with new equivalents. See also thread below yours by Howard Wade on the use of Si fluids on seals.

Pete

The latest these could have been manufactured are the 1960's which was why I was little concerned.

Some of the master cylinder seals cannot now be manufactured so I will have to use a subsitute cylinder.

Oooh, that sounds like a challenge - I can't think of any seal in a conventional master cylinder that you could not still get new?

Even in something like a Hydrovac you should be able to swap out 'seals with holes in' and fit Imperial cup seals.

Brake and fuel hoses, fuel pump diaphragms, just need to be modern materials tho'

Gordons right, a lot of old seal sizes are available as always it's a case of knowing where to look do a google search for vintage and classic brake seal suppliers that should turn something up the classic car and commercial market is well severed with modern replacement equipment.

Pete

Does anyone have any view's on using NOS Brake Hoses and Seals?

Are they likely to perform as well as when new with current fluids?

Quite simply, if in doubt don't use!! Rubber breaks down over the years, even if we'll stored. Sunlight, contaminated air, damp etc.

Seals can be got for anything now days, change any seals as a matter of course if using old stock, even if only few years old.