First MV?

winchman

When you're looking for something specific, there are 2 ways to go about it:

1) Go hunting with a wad of cash and be prepared to spend whatever it takes, or

2) Sit back, relax and wait for one to come to you.

Given that you don't have a huge budget, just keep saving and keep an eye out. You'll find the right vehicle.

I have to agree that the RL is a good looking truck. I really should take the RAF one at the museum out for a drive some time...

Cheers,

Terry

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you're looking for something specific, there are 2 ways to go about it:

1) Go hunting with a wad of cash and be prepared to spend whatever it takes, or

2) Sit back, relax and wait for one to come to you.

Given that you don't have a huge budget, just keep saving and keep an eye out. You'll find the right vehicle.

I have to agree that the RL is a good looking truck. I really should take the RAF one at the museum out for a drive some time...

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks Terry

I wish I had a bigger budget well don't we all, but I have what I have so I have to just get on with it! I am not looking for a show winner, I just want one for some Lads and Dads days / weekends out before our son gets too old. Strangely enough he is as keen as me!

I just have a bit of spare time at the moment so no doubt when I find one I will be mad busy, its just the way it is.

I would really like to be planning next years shows as I work shifts so have to plan things well in advance.

I am sat here waiting! I have placed some wanted adverts but not had a single offer not even any I cat afford.

In the mean time I did know of one parked in storage I feel its well beyond saving and it disappeared as they built houses on the land, I am part way through tracking the owner down just on the off chance he still has it or has any parts.

Its easy to forget how rare a 50 or 60 year old vehicle can be to find, but some one must want cash for Christmas???

Its been nice how supportive my friends have been too with the usual offers of help I think the bug is biting us all, after all why have a V8 Land Rover when you can have an RL?

I would not be concerned about engine or transmission issues, as they are relatively easy to fix. I always liked the RL...

trevor

You say that but how would I find a spare engine or gearbox?

I am Sh1tting my pants at the thought of having to buy a tyre

Well, asking here is always a good option, it is surprising what people have stashed away :D

trevor

Well Trevor that's what I was hoping, I have asked in the classifieds

I did submit an ad on Milweb but its not appeared yet?

I have all my friends looking too, I think budget is going top be my problem as some of the more expensive ones are like new.

Found one!

Its not perfect but its on budget.

Lights don't work, possibly a long but cheap job.

One reflector is rusting but I assume they are cheap standard units?

Needs a drivers door handle will anything else fit? and the bottom of the door is rotten would I be able to get a spare door to fit whilst I repaired the original as cant have it with no door on?.

Inside of cab is scabby but not rotten.

The very back of the chassis is about 1ft shorter?

Window rubbers look perished I assume they are just standard stuff?

I will let you know what else I find!

Found one!

Its not perfect but its on budget.

Lights don't work, possibly a long but cheap job.

Needs a drivers door handle will anything else fit? and the bottom of the door is rotten would I be able to get a spare door to fit whilst I repaired the original as cant have it with no door on?.

Just had a good chat with the very helpful owner who has been quite honest and upfront showing me any work that needs doing.

The lights just need connecting after a repaint so that's easy.

I got the short chassis bit wrong! The chassis is original but the old body had a small amount cut off, but if anything that's an advantage to me.

I will keep you posted.

You say that but how would I find a spare engine or gearbox?

I am Sh1tting my pants at the thought of having to buy a tyre

It's a Bedford, there are plenty of parts about (I've got two engines and three gearboxes to start with), and unless you do something stupid or buy a piece of junk to start with you won't have a problem.

Same with tyres; buy something with decent tyres and the amount of miles you're likely to do they'll perish long before you wear them out. Second-hand tyres are about at sensible prices.

Reflectors or lights aren't a problem, standard 7" headlight.

Driver's door handle available NOS or second-hand.

Door bottom is separate from the main part of the door, simple repair or door bottoms not plentiful but can be found.

Rubbers can be found NOS or from trim suppliers e.g. Woolies

well done was hoping it was you bidding...I was there too but forgot to bid it at the closing time...well done..she will be a fun truck for sure, those RL's great fun

just note they have soft valve seats and do not like unleaded, if she has not been upgraded its a job worth doing as a dropped valve is a bad news job....keep her topped with morris's lead additive...or whatever its called

well done was hoping it was you bidding...I was there too but forgot to bid it at the closing time...well done..she will be a fun truck for sure, those RL's great fun

just note they have soft valve seats and do not like unleaded, if she has not been upgraded its a job worth doing as a dropped valve is a bad news job....keep her topped with morris's lead additive...or whatever its called

Not me bidding? the one I am looking at hasn't be advertised yet, I was contacted by some one who heard I was looking for one.

It's a Bedford, there are plenty of parts about (I've got two engines and three gearboxes to start with), and unless you do something stupid or buy a piece of junk to start with you won't have a problem.

Same with tyres; buy something with decent tyres and the amount of miles you're likely to do they'll perish long before you wear them out. Second-hand tyres are about at sensible prices.

Reflectors or lights aren't a problem, standard 7" headlight.

Driver's door handle available NOS or second-hand.

Door bottom is separate from the main part of the door, simple repair or door bottoms not plentiful but can be found.

Rubbers can be found NOS or from trim suppliers e.g. Woolies

Thanks Sean that's what I was hoping

bummer...but good for you....

Well not that good, was due to test drive Sunday but I have had a call from the storage place asking me if I had bought it yet?? Which I though was odd, then he gave me his insider info, they are giving every one on site notice to quit in Jan and he didnt want me to be left with no storage and a big truck, which was decet of him, aparantly some deals been on and off for several years and its finally gone through, so I am back to the drawing board really as having spent yesterday exploring more storage and only finding one at £40 a week!

Well not that good, was due to test drive Sunday but I have had a call from the storage place asking me if I had bought it yet?? Which I though was odd, then he gave me his insider info, they are giving every one on site notice to quit in Jan and he didnt want me to be left with no storage and a big truck, which was decet of him, aparantly some deals been on and off for several years and its finally gone through, so I am back to the drawing board really as having spent yesterday exploring more storage and only finding one at £40 a week!

complete bummer...