R/Enfield WD/CO Tools and tool rolls?

gary0003

Can I direct you to Jan Vandevelde, who has a register for Royal Enfield's and literature beyond belief. wd.register(at)gmail.com

Jan will also be pleased to add your bike details to his register.

Here is a page from his excellent report and an expanded extract from my own workshop manual. The rectangular toolbox was deleted after the first contract for WD/CO's. Personally I didn't like the horrible gap it left, so I fitted one anyway. Ron

Scan-140902-0002.jpg

Scan-140902-0003.jpg

Can I direct you to Jan Vandevelde, who has a register for Royal Enfield's and literature beyond belief. wd.register(at)gmail.com

Jan will also be pleased to add your bike details to his register.

Here is a page from his excellent report and an expanded extract from my own workshop manual. The rectangular toolbox was deleted after the first contract for WD/CO's. Personally I didn't like the horrible gap it left, so I fitted one anyway. Ron

Hi Ron

I assume on your frame the mounting rails had been removed also for the rectangular toolbox. Can you post a picture of how you mounted the box.

Thanks

Rick

It all depends on what type of frame you have, the earlier frames had the WD/C type battery carrier hangar but the later frames had their own hangar which had an attached regulator bracket. These were not designed for the tool box.

Item 10 here http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/265/Frame_and_Battery_Carrier

If the above is the one you have you could modify it or get a Model G one (Keeping the original as is)

Item 5 here http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/314/Petrol_Tank_Bracket,_Battery_Carrier,_Air_Filter_and_Rear_Stand

If you need the tool box, Hitchcocks have repro boxes, I haven't bought one but they look OK.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/news/43935//Toolboxes_for_Pre-war_and_Post-War_Royal_Enfields

Again, there are 3 types of toolboxes, the early with the lock, the middle aged one which is like the early but with a know rather than a lock and the last type is the real simple type with a full size door with a knob. They have brackets riveted on in different places and some may need spacers fitted. If you need a photo, let me know.

Thanks Chris for the info

I wasn't aware of the "full width" Model G bracket, I actually have two frames with both early and later regulator support brackets but nothing assembled yet. Both forward frames of mine have the battery support bracket only "half width" as such.

I always assumed the Model C frame bracket wider then to support the toolbox. That is my question about mounting the toolbox on a later frame WDCO.

Best Regards

Rick

Mine is from an RAF contract in 1943 and has the 'type 1 1/2' frame. There was no real means to fix the square tool box. I just extended a couple of brackets from the battery carrier. Sometimes artistic licence prevails. One thing about not having that tool box in place. It makes adjusting the primary chain a darn site easier. Ron

CO 013.jpg

Here is my late tool box (Used up to the early WD/CO) on a late frame (Fitted as standard to the Export CO). You can see that the toolbox was made for an early frame and so Royal Enfield had to use spacers to fill the gap between the late frame hangar and the earlier toolbox. This toolbox will fit the early frames with no modification required.

toolboxb.jpg

Toolboxa.jpg

Thanks Chris and Ron for the info.

I have an identical toolbox with the knurled knob but I think one of the brackets is mounted differently.

Will just have to use that artistic licence.

The bike looks better with the box fitted.

Best regards

Rick