There's no turret, the big round thing is the aircraft engine. The armament was a Bren gun with the gunner stood on his seat leaning out of a hatch.

Loaded weight 7,050 lb

Crew 2

Radios C13/B47

24v 40A alternator

Road engine Porsche 1,582 cc petrol

Max road speed 45 mph

Max CC speed 25 mph

Max air speed 60 knots

Max 40 hops of 1,00ft

Not built although there was a scale model for wind tunnel evaluation.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no turret, the big round thing is the aircraft engine. The armament was a Bren gun with the gunner stood on his seat leaning out of a hatch.

Why do I get the image of Corporal Jones hanging out the window and shouting Don't panic, Captain Mainwaring !

Yes particularly as ejector seats were not provided. To do so increases the payload by 220 lb in the cockpit area, which would unbalance the vehicle & would require a redesign.

If there was engine failure the vehicle "will quickly result in the generation of a downward velocity". A normal ejector seat would not work & would require rocket assistance & they would have to be 150 ft AGL as the vehicle would fall at the rate of 100 ft/sec.:(

& they would have to be 150 ft AGL as the vehicle would fall at the rate of 100 ft/sec.:(

... reminds me of an illustration in one of Fred Crismon's books. It was a big US jeep with a recoilless launcher that was actually capable of launching a small nuke. Range of missile was a a few miles, somewhat less than the blast radius of the device ....

Still, deviating from subject here, next item please :cool2:

Bernard nice nostalgic clip.

I always thought the bedstead frame was just for support ie the landing legs, but seeing "Prodigal" realise that it was also part of the steering & stabilising gear using jets of air.

Bit late in on this one, having read all the informed guesses......first thought was can you imagine the noise !! The crew would have all been deaf ! And the Bren gunner would of had his undercrackers wedgied up into the intake. Brilliantly eccentric concept.

Bit late in on this one, having read all the informed guesses......first thought was can you imagine the noise !! The crew would have all been deaf ! And the Bren gunner would of had his undercrackers wedgied up into the intake. Brilliantly eccentric concept.

Good point about the noise, this detailed report doesn't seem to have been considered the tactical aspect of such noise.

As far as the gunner goes, all in flight drawings show him within the cab. Even so it would still have been very noisy.

App3483_zps36e1aa62.jpg

I didn't think of the possibility that it was British, I assumed the photo was American...turns out, with a bit of googling the drainpipe is French!

Then it is a fair bet the truck is a 'Pony Mécanique'...a French built Mechanical Horse.

• 5 months later...