Fast idling

guykay

, but the idle speed is up sufficiently to make selection of reverse difficult

Just had a thought. when changing forward to reverse or vice versa, you should move the selector smartly from on to another, if you hesitate in between, you will not engage, and will have to stop the engine. same on Ferret, Saracen, etc. make sure the linkage is free, and try doing it quickly in one movement.

I found that, even with idle set quite low, fwd/rev can be a pig unless you are quick with the change and don't leave the selector in 'neutral' otherwise you have to turn off the engine to get it back into drive.

I love the way that the control was designed so forward is pulling back and reverse is pushing forward! :nut:

I too have the same fwd/rev problem. Although I can't find the report from a quick google search, I recall that even in Afghanistan they've had the same problem with the various CVR(T)s out there.

I did have a quick look with the front plate off, but the connection there wasn't obvious. Is there a way of checking/maintaining the fwd/rev control without major surgery?

I too have the same fwd/rev problem. Although I can't find the report from a quick google search, I recall that even in Afghanistan they've had the same problem with the various CVR(T)s out there.

It is not a problem, but is due to the design. As I pointed out in my earlier post, no different to any of the wheeled armour, Ferret, Fox, Saracen, Saladin. It is a sliding gear change and he who hesitates, misses it. It has to be done smartly and it will go through easily, just make sure it is all free to move on the exterior linkage. If you do miss it, hold the knob and move it as you turn the ignition off and on again, you will find with practise this will work.

I did have a quick look with the front plate off, but the connection there wasn't obvious. Is there a way of checking/maintaining the fwd/rev control without major surgery?

The selector rod is on top of the gearbox and works off a pivoting linkage in the hull. There really isnt much to go wrong although i guess a drop of grease/lube cannot hurt.