Jeep Engine Build - Which Manual

Wolfy

Hi All,

In my house move my manuals have scattered wide and far,

can anyone tell me which manual gives all the necessary tolerances

and measurements for a rebuild please? :nut:

I've had all the machine work done.....damn not cheap is it!

A friend is helping me do the rebuild and I want to source everything in advance.

Thanks

Colt

Hi All,

In my house move my manuals have scattered wide and far,

can anyone tell me which manual gives all the necessary tolerances

and measurements for a rebuild please? :nut:

I've had all the machine work done.....damn not cheap is it!

A friend is helping me do the rebuild and I want to source everything in advance.

Thanks

Colt

Contact Clive, he has coppies my EMERS on the jeep and it has all the settings and tolerences etc. everything that you kneed to know, John.

I've had to have my jeeps crankshaft ground twice and you must be thorough when you investigate the shop that you are going to have work done at. Many times they don't have specs for wartime motors (GM/GMC spec catalogs simply skip 1942-1945), and civvy specs may not be correct.

I took my printout of tolerances and asked the shop what they would grind to... one shop was wrong, one was right and had had previous experience with jeeps.

Ask them LOTS of questions... have them explain everything. Tour the shop. A clean shop and well cared for machines is a good sign then are meticulous. Cluttered shop, poorly maintained machines.... does not give me a lot of confidence.

The shop was an extra 45 minute drive, but anyone can grind a crankshaft... few can grind it PROPERLY.

good advice on the crankshaft re grind. I allways used one engineer to do all sleeving replacement or crankshaft grinding, but on one occasion I went elswhere , all seemed o.k. so rebuilt engine with all new bearings and oil seals

The engine started o.k. but within a minute oil was leaking out of the oil seals. Stripped the engine and the sump had grinding paste in the oil. The grinder had not flushed out the oilway in the crankshaft, all bearings and seals were ruined, so be carefull, John.

I stripped and refurbed my jeep (GPW) engine over the winter and apart from the usual book with the different manuals all bound into one the best one I used for reference was the Maintenance Manual for Willys trucks 1/4 ton 4x4 available from www.jeepworld.co.uk TM-10-1513 change No 1 May 15 1942 priced online at £14.99 direct link http://www.jeepworld.co.uk/ecom/TM-10-1513_Willys_MBMaintenance_Manual_.asp

Please note- I have nothing to do with jeep world or jeep books ltd but found this one a good size to work from and easy to follow etc.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

i have rebuilt two engine and used this manual, It is a modern reprint of many of the original manuals

The Complete WW2 Military Jeep Manual by Us Army, Paperback,

( easy to spot is has a three colour cover with a blue band at the top, green in the middle and red at the bottom)

Desciption from the listing "Comprehensive manual containing full information on how to maintain and overhaul the Ford and Willys Jeeps manufactured during WW2. Includes TM9-803, TM9-1803A, TM9-1803B, etc."

currently on ebay from various sellers for about £20, well worth it in my opinion