Dad's army and lee-enfields

Graham

The bolt action .22 may well have been a Mossberg. A lot went to cadet units, that's where mine came from. I also have a .22 Enfeild No1 completet with the toys. That was made about 1903 for cadet units.

could well have been Tony...

a lovely little rifle as I recall and ideal for small lads to learn on....it looked (again as I recall!.. t'was many years ago!) more like a 'hunting' rifle than a military issue type of gun...the forestock didn't go all the way to the end of the barrell as it sort of does on a 'bigger / proper' rifle such as the LE....

........but they were as I said, great little rifles with which I won a little certificate for 'rapid fire' at the TA barracks ..think it was 7 shots all within a 2" group ???...

I don't know why but for some reason I was always more accurate with 'rapid fire' than when you took your time and 'properly aimed' each shot....:-)

yep as I recall the bottom one is very similar to what I remember using:D

....can't 'click' the photo bigger for some reason but that does look like them........add a little stick/ box mag about 3/4" wide 1/2" thick and about 2" long right in front of the trigger guard and that's probably them :)

Is that the Lee Enfield No.1 Mk4 as in .22" or the No.4 Mk1 in .303"?

I shot the .303 mk 4 rifle and 303 bren when i was in the army cadets around 1989/90 but they were just starting to bring in the cadet 5.56 semi auto version of the sa80 (not a good weapon i broke one ).i wonder when the ACF stopped using the 303 ?

Agh, it would be the No.4 as the Mk4 is a .22 version of the SMLE No1 Mk3. I was hoping I'd found someone who had used the Mk4 in cadet use. It appears the No.8 .22 had completely replaced the Mk4 in British cadet use by the 60s as know one can remember seeing them soon after the No.8 came into use.

Agh, it would be the No.4 as the Mk4 is a .22 version of the SMLE No1 Mk3. I was hoping I'd found someone who had used the Mk4 in cadet use. It appears the No.8 .22 had completely replaced the Mk4 in British cadet use by the 60s as know one can remember seeing them soon after the No.8 came into use.

OK - just for clariification - it was the No.4 Mk 1 303 version we shot. Bren's were 303 as well. We did have .22 rifles but they didn't look like the SMLE.