Bren Ammo Box Mk2

tim gray

Hi Gents,

Just thought i would test the water here. Has anyone got, or seen, a Bren ammo box Mk2.

Metal case with carry strap/handle for placing bren mags in. The difference being the MK2 is split centrally and only carries 6 Mags, 1 mag filler and the gun manual. I have drawings and alegedly thier is an example at the alamien museum (can't confirm that). But ive never seen one in the flesh as it were.

The Mk1 box takes 12 mags, and the Mk1* has a felt seal around the lid to keep dust out.

Regards

Tim

Also, one has a webbing strap handle, the other has a metal folding version.

I think the MKII was dropped in favour of the brown canvas 6 mag bag carrier version. This was onbviously a lot cheaper & quicker to manufacture. I had a couple at one time, but I dont now. I haventseen any for years & belive they are quite scarce nowadays. ALWAYS in Mint condition too, I guess that is why they survived. The mint ones never got issued!

Also, one has a webbing strap handle, the other has a metal folding version.

I think the MKII was dropped in favour of the brown canvas 6 mag bag carrier version. This was onbviously a lot cheaper & quicker to manufacture. I had a couple at one time, but I dont now. I haventseen any for years & belive they are quite scarce nowadays. ALWAYS in Mint condition too, I guess that is why they survived. The mint ones never got issued!

Yup ,

The MK1* was issued with both fabric and steel strap/handle. The dates on the drawings for the MK2 mag box are early so presume the intention and design were "borrowed" from the ZB ancilliaries and destined for the bren.........how much/many were made and issued is another issue. The loose round filler and the clip loader for the mags fell out of favour fairly rapidly i should imagine as from my time in the mob i know you can hand fill at a rapid rate.

Reason i ask is if i could get one to go with the bren kit it would be rather nice, if not ive got the drawings and i could get a Mk1 or 1* box modified as an example and have some where to store and protect the loader i have.

Regards

Tim

Hi Tim, Long time no hear! Have you still got your 37 Bren?

ATB, CHris.

Hi Chris,

Yup, still got the beast, also scooped up a lithy Mk1 A22. Poor finish but a real warhorse that did not go thro the aussie refurb programme. Just need an original adj bipod for it as its got the non adjustable spike footed job at the moment. Would have had a normal one as original fit. Dont even mind if it was a stacked rifles job as a qty of parts was supplied to start off the production.

How are you keeping ? :-D

Regards

Tim

hi guy's I have seen one in the museum of al alamein (see picture). but never seen one for sale I would like to have one in my collection to. O well I have the picture of one. :-(

cheers

museum 05.JPG

Hi Chris,

Yup, still got the beast, also scooped up a lithy Mk1 A22. Poor finish but a real warhorse that did not go thro the aussie refurb programme. Just need an original adj bipod for it as its got the non adjustable spike footed job at the moment. Would have had a normal one as original fit. Dont even mind if it was a stacked rifles job as a qty of parts was supplied to start off the production.

How are you keeping ? :-D

Regards

Tim

I'm good mate, I've got your early Lithy gun on my list, does it have the early enfield type lower with all the fancy machining or is it like the normal Lithgow with only the waisted rear. I've got 3 early DD Lithys all with the later type (Matching), but kev tells me the very early ones had the fancy stuff.

I've found that the early adjustable Lithy Bi-pods had diffrent feet to Enfield and Inglis. The hole is larger, Big enough to fit a .303 case through whereas the Enfield and Inglis guns you can't. Also, the curved part of the foot is alot larger than that of the Enfield and Inglis.

ATB, Chris.

hi guy's I have seen one in the museum of al alamein (see picture). but never seen one for sale I would like to have one in my collection to. O well I have the picture of one. :-(

cheers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40899[/ATTACH]

That is right on the button. So it does exist and to be out in North Africa a qty must have been manufactured and issued. The box is a straight MK1 with no dust seal. Where have they all gone ??? Wonder if both types of mag loader would fit them ?

May i down load the pic for my records ??

Regards

Tim

I'm good mate, I've got your early Lithy gun on my list, does it have the early enfield type lower with all the fancy machining or is it like the normal Lithgow with only the waisted rear. I've got 3 early DD Lithys all with the later type (Matching), but kev tells me the very early ones had the fancy stuff.

I've found that the early adjustable Lithy Bi-pods had diffrent feet to Enfield and Inglis. The hole is larger, Big enough to fit a .303 case through whereas the Enfield and Inglis guns you can't. Also, the curved part of the foot is alot larger than that of the Enfield and Inglis.

ATB, Chris.

Hi Chris,

The lithy does indeed have the fancy machining to the butt slide assy. Not sure as to your reference to the curved part of the foot on the bipod as the adjustable early ones had rectangular feet with a nick out of one corner and a hole drilled thro. I thought only the latter aussie pattern were curved and also had a foot spike?

I was also labouring under the impression that a batch of parts like complete bipods were sent out to speed up the initial production? Hence the possibility of BSA stamps on some parts of the early lithy,s

Regards

Tim

Edited by tim gray
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
Scooped ? hmmmm.

As in........the dealer did not care that it was exeptionally early and a survivor, and placed a normal price against the beast. :D

Most deffinatley not as in.........nobody was looking and shot past on the run grabbing said item and not paying for it. Unlike some at the major shows as previous occurances would indicate.

Regards

Tim