Saracen Ambulance Belfast Christmas 1978

Marmite!!

• 10 months later...

Hi, I am almost certain that the sign says DAKTARI(African for doctor). I was with EOD at this time and I recall that sign under the blue light.I have a picture somewhere and if I can work out how to get it on I will,cheers,Jasper.

Edited by jasper

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
No such language as 'African' any more than 'American' - Daktari is Swahili. I really don't know what to make of that film - the commentary was quite low-key, but the editing made it look somewhat like propaganda...

Propaganda aimed at ? By who? The sentiment came across that the people of Belfast only wanted peace.......

• 6 months later...
It does indeed said Daktari and is seen heading along Castle Street from Castle Junction towards two EOD vehicles at the Castle Street barriers where there is also a lightweight Land Rover.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78286[/ATTACH]

I can certainly confirm this is Daktari, the chances are I was the driver in this video, there were 3 of us, but as it was close to Christmas were were all taking breaks back home, I had mine from the 26th and I am pretty sure this was in the week before Christmas. we were based at Grand Central Hotel and were always called out when EOD went out, most of our day time call outs were to cars parked where they shouldn't have been so suspected of being booby trapped, this was an exhilarating job, but sadly not without it's down side.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
1 minute ago, Murfster said:

We had 2 saracen ambulances they signs on them daktari 1 * dactari 2.

I cant see the film just guessing from our ones.

When I was stationed in Belfast we only had one called Daktari which was based in Grand Central Hotel in the segments.
I have a link to the film that still works,
https://www.jimages.co.uk/SmugPreview/NI/i-qLZpmzK/A

• 5 years later...
On 11/26/2010 at 5:00 PM, Roland said:

Very interesting ! Is it possible 98BA37 ? Can not read it clear. If so it was mine in 1998-2000:

http://up.picr.de/5720973.jpg

http://s1.up.picr.de/5720974.jpg

The vehicle in the video was Daktari, it was either myself or one other RCT driver in the vehicle at the time, I think it was me, but am not certain, it was a long time ago

Daktari.jpg

• Like 1