scotches rope lenth

scammell 7377

Question

having now purchased a pair of scotches for lightening ( my mk 1 explorer) i got back to the shed to discover in the two bags containing the ropes i have a lenth of chain 24 or so inches then the wire rope then another 24 ish inches of chain , 1 chain and the wire rope seem to be the right lenth so my question is what is the purpose of this 2nd chain if any or am i lucky enough to have to bits of spare for whatever ? thanks andy

8 answers to this question

I always understood from the period training films for the Pioneer, which i suspect to to be very similar if not indentical in this respect, that the restraint for the scotches consisted of a short length of chain off the scotch and then a length of wire rope finishing in a round eye for hooking over the hook on the chassis.

Richard

having now purchased a pair of scotches for lightening ( my mk 1 explorer) i got back to the shed to discover in the two bags containing the ropes i have a lenth of chain 24 or so inches then the wire rope then another 24 ish inches of chain , 1 chain and the wire rope seem to be the right lenth so my question is what is the purpose of this 2nd chain if any or am i lucky enough to have to bits of spare for whatever ? thanks andy

Richard is right to my recollection of working with HM's Explorers -- chain end to the scotch -- eye to the hook on the chassis -- but the picture shows Pioneer with fixed lengh rope! Who knows?

S0005.jpg

....... The thimble goes to the scotch, the chain to the chassis hook.

You may well be right, but it was always easier to loop the hook on the chassis with the thimble, pull down on the rope and pin one of the links on the chain through the scotch

having now purchased a pair of scotches for lightening ( my mk 1 explorer) .............

Just looking through my piccies -- found these! Norton show August this year. Weren't you lonely down there on your own? Should have come up the top to join the military section -- there was a brilliant display and you would have been well received

IMG_4779small.jpg

IMG_4778small.jpg

well it seems then i have some spare chain i think ill keep it in the back just in case thanks for the input i will have to modify the storage to suit as the scotches are a bit to big to fit as for norton i bought her in december and entered her in the commertials as i didnt want a military truck and was going to repaint it by the spring but then decided to leave it as is so ill be entering in the military from now on

Just looking through my piccies -- found these! Norton show August this year. Weren't you lonely down there on your own? Should have come up the top to join the military section -- there was a brilliant display and you would have been well received

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37802[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37801[/ATTACH]

as you have kindly posted some pics can anyone tell me the paint code or suplier i have some touching up to do over winter

as you have kindly posted some pics can anyone tell me the paint code or suplier i have some touching up to do over winter

Looks like standard NATO green but I doubt you'll get it to match cos matt colours fade badly. Have a word with Preston or Tim Issacs at Cobbaton Combat Collection. They stock a range of colours in Cromadex (top quality paint -- reasonable price) and have what can be loosely described as a colour chart

A visit to the museum highly recommended!

Chittlehampton

Umberleigh

N. Devon

EX37 9RZ

Phone 01769 540740