OMD 80 equivalent oil?

Hello everyone,

Sorry i've been a bit quiet recently, been out doing a lot of shopping, just bought a lubrication trailer from Withams and some brand new tracks to top.

After running the 434 now and again i decided to check the oil in it, oh dear the oil was just over the pip at the end of the dipstick, so we aborted the start and came home feeling a bit silly for not checking it in the first place.

Also a bit of an update on the battery situation, we took off the original batteries and put some van batteries in their place for now, but back to the originals, we took a reading and one was 16 millivolts and the other was .5 volt, no wander it wouldnt start, we have an amazing charger on them now and its up to 11.9V now.

Anyway my question is, what do you lot use as an equivalent of OMD 80?

Many thanks

Harley

Equivalent civi spec oil to OMD 80 is a straight SAE30.

Comma Classic SAE30 is bang on.

Hi Mark,

Not quite right, OMD80 was a 10w/30 multigrade engine oil, and thus a high detergent type. The Classic 30 such as Comma is meant for older type engine that do not require detergents due to different designed lubrication systems. As the original post is refering to a 434, then if 30 is to be used, it should be a heavy duty type suitable for diesels.

I stand corrected Richard -

I had it on good authority from the tech boffins at Comma Oil SAE30 is a very acceptable substitute for OMD80.

I did use it on my FV432 without any issues but cheap it is not.

Hi Mark,

I am surprised at them recommending Classic 30, but just looking at the Comma website, I would say their "Diesel Oil HD30" would be more correct to use.

Also noted that they recommended changing Classic 30 oil every 600 miles !!

... we have an amazing charger on them now and its up to 11.9V now.

Hmm - 11.9V sounds rather low. Are you sure the 434 is charging them properly? With the engine running at anything above tickover there should be 28.5V +/- 0.5V across the batteries.

Andy

Hi Andy,

i havnt yet tested the voltage on the batteries when the engine is running because the place where it is is complaining about the noise it makes.

I am aware that mine doesnt charge too well as the alternator light only goes out at 1500 RPM, i think i may have cured that though, the connections were quite bad, only time will tell i suppose.

Many thanks

Harley

• 5 weeks later...

Incidentally, I see that the current maintenance schedule for the FV430 series specifies OMD90 for the engine and gearbox. Does anyone know what the civilian equivalent of that is? Judging by the way the numbers go I'm assuming it's a detergent 20/50?

Andy

According to Deaf Stanley OMD-90 is:

Lubricating oil, engine, severe duty, diesel, extended service SAE 10W/30

Thanks Clive - on Googling around it also appears to be semi or fully synthetic, regardless of the "M" in the name. As I don't know what's already in there (an FV432 gearbox) I'll either need a mineral-based equivalent or something that will mix with oil in the box that may be mineral. When you drain the box there's apparently five litres of oil left behind!

Andy