Replica Schwimvagen...

mark m uk

Small update on the schlugwagen.

The original wheels of a Swimmer are unobtainable, and 16" diameter. They come in (I think) 3 1/2", and 7" widths. Reproductions are now available and look really nice, but too expensive to waste on my pile of shcrap.

So, I figured on making my own. I bought regular wide 5 beetle wheels that are 15", and got 'my mates Dad' to part them off on a lathe. Next, my other mate rolled up some 2mm thick bands, and yet another mate - Scurvey Merv, one of the best welders on the planet, glued them all together. Next, another mate wrestled some tyres over them. I chose a real aggressive tread, and a higher side wall to compensate for the 1" less on the wheel. :-D:-D

So, when I wrote that - "I" made some wheels - I really was pushing the boundries of truth !

Anyway, I painted them all by my own without a grown up !

swimwheel2.jpg

P.S. Thank you for replying to my earlier thread Lee, that link was a great help, and I got some issues sorted.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a nice job of them wheels , I'm think my splitscreen VW camper came with an odd set of wheels a pair of 16" wheels on the rear from a pre 1955 bus , and a pair of 15" on front ,

On the subject of banded rims I once had a sand rail ( like the fast response vehicle ) not too long ago and took for an MOT and the tester said strait away that he'll not be able to test it unless I change the wheels , aparently they'd been banned , when I removed the tyres they even had a company stamp inside so not a shoddy job , keep up the good work :-)

Tidy

You're not gonna get stuck in the mud with them boots

Just the thing for negotiating the snotty bankings and the path to the bar at W&P :cool:

:-D

Ha, well I hope to be going with the Schwimm to Beltring, but I hope we dont get the mud that we had a couple years back - man, that was dreadful.

Hey Phil, hang on to those 16" wheels, I understand they are as rare as ricking horse manure, but not the same as KDF, I believe the KDF era wheels are riveted. A split van is another on my 'most wanted' lists of cool vehicles. Thanks for the advice on the business of banded wheels.....Regards Mark.

:-D

Ha, well I hope to be going with the Schwimm to Beltring, but I hope we dont get the mud that we had a couple years back - man, that was dreadful.

Hey Phil, hang on to those 16" wheels, I understand they are as rare as ricking horse manure, but not the same as KDF, I believe the KDF era wheels are riveted. A split van is another on my 'most wanted' lists of cool vehicles. Thanks for the advice on the business of banded wheels.....Regards Mark.

If there is mud don't look strange when some guy hangs on the back of the schwimmer to do some mudsurfing...:angel:

• 2 weeks later...
little mention in March Volksworld...........

Yes, I see that - the project seems to have quite a following. I have been asked to post up pictures on several different forums. It has met with a lot of enthusiasm in the US and an enormous amount of enquiries regarding the possibility of making more.

Anyway, I'd guess you may like a little update, so here are some pictures of the progress to date.

I decided it was about time I attempted the front deck, spare wheel carrier, windshield, and various fittings and brackets associated with that area.

I did make a hash of the internal curve of the wheel well. I tried to buy one from the bulkhead of a split van but they are as rare as rocking horse manure. So I did the best I could. Another time I will buy a handpowered sheet shrinker - that will do it.

Started by forming the top of the wheel carrier over a bus brake drum - then made a large conical tube to weld it on, and cheated by welding a paint kettle from B&Q in the centre - it was perfect for size !

166frontdeck003.jpg

166frontdeck004.jpg

166frontdeck005.jpg

166frontdeck007.jpg

166frontdeck008.jpg

166frontdeck009.jpg

166frontdeck012.jpg

Next, the upper deck.

Real tricky making those fuel tank neck holes - it doesn't look much I know, but that cause a lot of blue air.

Putting a double compound curve in the surface was a challenge too.

166frontdeck011.jpg

166frontdeck014.jpg

166frontdeck015.jpg

166frontdeck031.jpg

166frontdeck032.jpg

166frontdeck033.jpg

And the combing on the top edge under the windshield was a real mother !

I am so dissapointed with that internal curve - I wish I had bought a metal shrinking tool - but we all live and learn, the next swimmer will be much better, I have to keep reminding myself this is just a rough one to prove the principle.

Windshield and mountings.

Sometimes it took longer to make the formers than the actual pieces.

I couldn't buy the channel in the size I needed so had to buy stock box section and alter it by cutting it into angle with a grinder, and welding it back to make channel - laborious work.

As always, guessing shapes and sizes from the model and picture books.

166frontdeck023.jpg

166frontdeck025.jpg

166frontdeck026.jpg

166frontdeck027.jpg

166frontdeck029.jpg

166frontdeck030.jpg

166frontdeck034.jpg

166frontdeck037.jpg