Replica Schwimvagen...

mark m uk

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) this is just brilliant you do know that you have to make two of everything so you get it right , I can then buy the other bits off you to build one myself :-D ,

, is it going to float ? , there was a type 166 schwimer at Sata pod VW show two years ago now ,,, I have'nt read the full thread yet but I see that you've used a wide five balljoint front beam so that must mean the running gear dates from about 65/66 unless of cause the hubs have been swaped , i can also see that the beams fitted with ajusters for ride hieght , were these fitted to lower the car :) ,

I was looking a while back at a GRP replica that some company were selling , think they also made Kubelwagens as well ,

Thanks for the nice comments guys,.

Baz, I recon forewarned is forearmed, so I will check out the fit - watch this space, if it goes **** shape - it will be here first !

Phil, I recon I have already build most things twice - except the engine cover - that was about a half dozen times.

Your very good at veedubaya facts. the beam is from a '69, but the hubs (to get wide 5) are from a '66. The ride height adjusters are made for the surf boys that 'slam' their beetles (lower).........but work just as well to raise the ride height too.

Them glass replica are made by Panzerwerks, but I think the company just got into bed with Kooble Kar.

thanks for your interest guys, regards mark.

Mark , keep an eye on the angle of the balljoints , I've seen them snap on jacked up offroad buggy's

I used to have a nice colection of vw"s mainly campers , but i lost the use of a large barn two years ago , so have had to sell quite a few of them ,some had been tucked away in the barn for 10 years , ,,

seen the kubelwagens replicas and look great , a pal is rebuilding a treka at the moment

:) yes there's quite a few with scooby engines in , but it puts a lot of strain on the runing gear , VW= 34HP scooby=320HP a freind spent 2.5K on a stronger gearbox ,,, I much prefer a diesel and sick of the vw lump chucking rods , started fitting peugeot engines, :)

• 1 month later...

Great Stuff Boys, Glad I am not alone here on the VW scene.

Not done much work on the Schwimming schlugwagen over the holiday - far too busy getting fat and drunk, in an attempt to celebrate the birth of our lord Jesus Christ. But, I did finish putting the hubs together, so here is a brief update.

After a good deal of searching I found some VW trekker spindles that are 2 1/2" taller than the beetle stock items.

Fitting the trekker spindles was a breeze, couldn't have been easier.

It has had the desired effect. Increased ground clearance and levelled out the body so as it has the 'stance' of an original VW166.

This picture shows how level it is..........assuming of course that I did build my house level :lol:

166dec09001.jpg

The height now is approx 80mm too high at both the front and rear,

That is why I have so much camber on the rear.

166dec09003.jpg

So, after I fit the engine, ancillaries, swimprop, exhaust, seats, air ducting etc, etc on the rear end, and spare wheel, fuel tank windshield, etc, etc up the front - I hope it all comes down level, and about 80mm.

Anyone here have an idea, or any experience of how much it will drop with the engine re installed ?

Edited by mark m uk

Anyone here have an idea, or any experience of how much it will drop with the engine re installed ?

Have you not tried throwing some ballast in to compensate for missing engine and ancillaries? Surely as a builder you should have some bags of sand or cement lying around.

im new to and have replica kubi at least iv got something may not be real but hey. i like it

No need to sound apologetic.

Welcome to the forum, some guys treat us replica gang as if we farted in a church - just ignore it. Read this thread and you will soon see the 'do-ers' and thinkers are really enthusiastic.

Now, post up some pictures.....................please !

Regards Mark.

Have you not tried throwing some ballast in to compensate for missing engine and ancillaries? Surely as a builder you should have some bags of sand or cement lying around.

Good idea, and one that I had considered.

However, previous experience with my Jeep showed me that loadind static will only achieve so much - it gets much lower after being driven with that load.

Thank for the imput, Regards Mark.

Welcome to the forum, some guys treat us replica gang as if we farted in a church - just ignore it. Read this thread and you will soon see the 'do-ers' and thinkers are really enthusiastic.

QUOTE]

Lovely acoustics in a church Mark, you should try it! :-D

:rofl:................I might just do that, :cool2:..........

Its looking great and looking at the pics in my eyes its going to be close to the correct ride hieght , but its not a big task to alter the hieght which if it is Wrong it'll only be a spline :)

Thanks Dave, very reassuring to get some other opinions. This is the first time I have had anything to do with a Beetle - all a bit new to me.

Thanks Mate, BTW, I guess we are 'nearly neighbours' - I am on the Colchester side of Ipswich.

did you manage to get the snow mobile out last week ?

Er....no.....

Using my normal logic it is under the car port.........on the side of the garage...........behind all my other vehicles.......and it took about seven goes to get the Jaguar out on Saturday afternoon...... Fortunately my truck lives round in the yard so I did get out when I really needed to :-D.

Didn't realise we were so close - just got back from Ipswich having been to collect my new truck .

Put the engine in the little schwimmer thingy-

I was really pleased that the exhaust pipes that I bought from CZR, not only fit the engine, but they pop straight out the holes in the cowl above - my early efforts at scaleing could not have been too far out !

166enginefitted001.jpg

Here shows where the air comes from.

166enginefitted002.jpg

166enginefitted003.jpg