Milly turbo removal, return to standard......

I too need to sort my passenger seat, I acquired an original but am missing the height adjuster. I have a NOS seat which is slightly smaller and am still yet to decide whether I 1. Fit the original seat minus the adjuster (seen it done, looks very low) 2. Original seat with cannibalised NOS adjuster or 3. Re trim the Iveco seat the previous owner put in to make it more inkeeping.

I'm not sure I could tackle your engine job! I'm envious of your storage facility . Keep the photos coming.

I am sure the passenger seat does not have hight adjustment, only the drivers seat has that. I have an original drivers seat on my Milly and have taken the original passenger seat of the rusty one, it is fixed other than the fold down back.

IMAG0230.jpg

Is this what you have ? The support frame for the drivers seat (not in the picture, sorry.) is only an inch or two lower than the passengers.

I am now after someone to re-upholster them and make a seat cushion for the back seat.

iain

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Iain,

Along with the Iveco seat the last owner put in, I have these two below. I got it into my head that I'd seen one with a passenger height adjustment but looking at photos of others, I must have dreamt it! I have a trim repair man close to me but a bit far for you to use I guess.

image.jpg

image.jpg

My passenger's seat has a height adjuster, same as the driver's. You can see it on post 42 on page 5, and the seat is the correct passenger one with the folding backrest. Perhaps mine was a GT model with deluxe trim!

Keep us informed Iain when you get the beast back on the road and can compare the standard engine with the turbo version you had. Mine was very smoky when I first got it, but I found that using fresh fuel and Redex fuel additive has cured that, and it smokes very little now, even from a cold start.

I am envious of your spare vehicle, shed, Eager Beaver and boundless enthusiasm!

Cheers

Iain C

Nick, is this any good to you? I got a couple a few years ago just in case, it is very similar to the original with the same stroke etc.

IMAG0232.jpg

Iain, The spare is a boon and luckily not worth saving in its own right, way too far gone. I would not do without the EB after having it for over two years, and the shed it's something I was wishing after for many years, much better than being outside on mud and gravel...

Ceers

Iain

IMAG0231.jpg

Nick, is this any good to you? I got a couple a few years ago just in case, it is very similar to the original with the same stroke etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113411[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]113412[/ATTACH]

Iain, The spare is a boon and luckily not worth saving in its own right, way too far gone. I would not do without the EB after having it for over two years, and the shed it's something I was wishing after for many years, much better than being outside on mud and gravel...

Ceers

Iain

Sorry for late reply Iain, yes thanks, that could be very useful if you're ok to part with it? Will be sorting out the seat in a few months time, I hope, as I've got a house move to organise now too

Sorry for late reply Iain, yes thanks, that could be very useful if you're ok to part with it? Will be sorting out the seat in a few months time, I hope, as I've got a house move to organise now too

No problem Nick. I have been at my new place for two years now, it seems like a few months ! It took me two weeks to move all the "shed stuff" and a couple of days for the furniture etc. Never again.....

PM me an address and I'll get it in the post.

All you need to do is modify the seat back for a flip over and you'll have a pretty good coming and going seat !

Cheers

Iain

Iain - don't suppose your donor vehicle has a spare cupola pad I could purchase off you please?

No,sorry. They have been removed and a lid welded on at some time. I had the ones on my good truck sorted at Allied Forces, the only original parts are the metal plates, new foam and canvas covers. If you can fabricate the plates it should be easy to have them covered and filled.

Ill post the adjuster Monday.

Cheers

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
No,sorry. They have been removed and a lid welded on at some time. I had the ones on my good truck sorted at Allied Forces, the only original parts are the metal plates, new foam and canvas covers. If you can fabricate the plates it should be easy to have them covered and filled.

Ill post the adjuster Monday.

Cheers

Iain

Here they are sitting on the spare wheel cover also made by Allied Forces. (My truck my rules !) :-\

~

IMAG0238.jpg

Time for an update.

I have been sorting out the cab and painting all the panels and plates that came off then giving he interior a new coat of Aeu De Nil (?) and DBG. The cab is double skinned with glass wool insulation, great for holding moisture and promoting rust, I have taken it out off the lower panels and need to replace the rusty cover plate. I think I am right in thinking the dash/scuttle was black originally (with the instrument panel in a silver crinkle), I took off all the labels and it is black under many of them. Anyway, a cover of satin black should do that and then its time to rebuild the cab and make the truck mobile again. I did not want to get sucked into a monumental restoration but I just cant do all this and not put the effort in, its not coming apart again in the near future ! I hope :undecided:

Some views of the cab and parts.

~IMAG0241.jpg

~

Before the bumper goes on there are some rust holes to fix, only primer on the inside with some double skin, what were they thinking would happen !!>:(

Cheers

Iain

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

"eau de nil" - I think, 'water of the Nile'?

Will you be replacing the glass wool insulation?

trevor

Hi Trevor

The glass wool went straight in the bin and I am using sticky sponge like insulation on the outer skin and bitumin like sticky panels on the inner skin. I have only taken off the skin of the lower panels the roof remains to be done at some time.....:blush:

The colours don't come out very well on the pics but it is a lot cleaner and brighter in the cab now. :D

Cheers

Iain

You might not want a monumental restoration, but...... sometimes you just can't leave it alone. One bit leads to another, then you just do a bit more and before you know it that bit of touching up becomes a respray etc etc :D! This is why we do it

You'r not wrong, it's taking all my willpower to rain back and not get too carried away. But, the cab exterior will have to be sorted especially the roof to seal out water and a nice coat of DBG. The rest of the truck will be done as I can, in the wings a Jag XJ6C is waiting for a complete restoration to become my daily driver and then the EB will get the treatment....:nut:

Cheers

Iain

• 2 months later...

A bit of a catch up but not much has happened.

I coated the roof in Isoflex after a recommendation from Gordon (I bought it the next day), and I am well pleased.

IMAG0272.jpg

I've just got the rest of the cab exterior to prep for paint but taking the layers off is showing up more work under the filler....:(

IMAG0273.jpg

Iain

Brings back memories of last summer Iain :D nice to see you catching me up!

Ha, not much chance of that. I am concentrating on the cab area just now the rest of the truck will be done as I go.

It is nice to have some big jobs out of he way and be well on the way to getting it back to standard. Once the cab is painted I'll be wanting to get it out on the road and enjoy driving it and see if it has changed much from it's turbo days.:-|

Did the turbo make much of a difference Iain?

Hard to tell just now Nick, I've not been on the open road with it since the new engine and the Turbo did not start working until at least 1500 revs I should think. low down grunt was not improved by the turbo but road performance possible was, time will tel. It is a lot quieter and more comfortable in the cab and I am pleased with that!

Cheers

Iain