WW1 display in NZ

nz2

Sir Peter Jackson is the driving force on setting up a WW1 display using the old Dominion Museum building in Wellington. A couple of weeks ago the heavy items were lifted into the building through a light well . As per the following story.

Doug

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/67166106/Crane-lifts-tank-bus-and-gun-into-Wellington-exhibition

Images of the lift

[h=1]Big artillery moves into museum[/h] Published 10 March, 2015 by admin

One of New Zealand’s biggest cranes made its way to the front of Wellington’s historic Dominion Museum on Sunday to help shift the heaviest and largest pieces of The Great War Exhibition into place.

Great%20War%20crane%20sm.jpg

Image of a London bus being lifted into the Dominion Museum is courtesy of Nick Setteducato.

The crane, capable of lifting 300 tonnes, was needed to lift in a tank, London bus and large gun that will be part of the Sir Peter Jackson-inspired exhibition of the First World War opening on April 18, and commemorates the war’s centenary.

Exhibition project manager Brian Massey said the crane operation took six weeks to plan and relied on favourable weather conditions, secure fastening and some careful manoeuvring.

“This was the part of the project where there was the least margin for error,” Mr Massey said.

A platform was erected to cut a hole in the wall and the crane used to lift the exhibits up and over the museum, into a central light well and on to the platform positioned one storey above the crane.

“Once they landed on the platform we used a system of winches to bring them inside and into position,” Mr Massey said.

Each piece had to be shifted on to a special weight spreading platform before the next piece could be lifted.

Great%20War%20tank%20nwm%20sm.jpg

Image of a tank being lifted into the Dominion Museum is courtesy of Nick Setteducato.

The items are among the first to be placed in the museum and work is continuing to build the exhibition around them.

When it opens, visitors will explore the war in chronological order, exploring its changing face as it affected those who fought it.

The second half of the exhibition focuses on New Zealand’s story, beginning in 1915 with mobilisation and the seminal Gallipoli campaign. It also recognises that one of the most important aspects of New Zealand’s national and cultural development was achieved by ordinary citizens enduring incredible hardship.

Great%20War%20tank%20sm.jpg

Image of a tank inside the Dominion Museum is courtesy of Nick Setteducato.

The New Zealand room will be updated throughout the Centenary to reflect the different theatres of the war and its impact on New Zealand.

With support from the New Zealand Government, Sir Peter Jackson and Sir Peter’s talented team at Wing Nut Films; the exhibition offers a unique opportunity for New Zealanders to gain a greater insight into an important part of their history.

[h=2]For more information contact:[/h] Susan Pepperell

Anzac Week communications

Ministry for Culture and Heritage

• 4 weeks later...

That's fun. I didn't know Sir Peter had a Nash Quad. I wonder where he got that from as the only complete one I have seen for sale recently went to Brent Mullins.

Nice to see Mikes Crossley has been finished.

I could see the Banfield Pierce Arrow but not his Wolseley or Hallford. I wonder where they are?

The narrator said "You wont find this number of WW1 vehicles together in one space". Well that sets us a target. Actually it might have been beaten already. How many were at GDSF last year?

Those reporting the convoy only looked on the surface. Some of these trucks are original, many are replicas based on a more recent chassis. Four appear to be original, the rest are movie props. Looking closely at the video coverage different rear axles appear, as do the design of the front axles, spring hangers etc. Solid tyres and wheels are bolt on specials.

Aside from that it appears as a great event, and will be even more spectacular in the morning ( Anzac Day) for the parade with associated bands playing and streets clear of other traffic.

Meanwhile in the old Dominion Museum building the WW1 display put together by Sir Peter has had its previews. The Dennis bus ( original chassis and running gear) shows the display form used.

Doug

Dennis bus WW1 display alt eml.jpg

Looking at the road run it makes me think about WW1 machinery and the wider public.

Although the WW1 aircraft are at the most interesting end of the first world war equipment as far as most people are concerned, they are really quite restricted in how they can interact with the public.

WW1 Vehicles can go and mix with the public.

But the public has to make an effort to go to the see WW1 aircraft.

Very disappointing for me to see a dead Crossley being pushed in front of the public!

And transporting PJ

I have to admit I have done this, but only in private.

Of course with the larger heavy lorries there is more incentive to have an engine which starts.

Edited by Charawacky

One of the buses lost the rubber off a rear wheel, then continued on on the steel rim!

Although the fleet of vehicles used in the parade seems largewe know there are more trucks not out for the day.

Doug

Earlier on in the week another display of WW1 was opened ion Wellington. This was created by Sir Peter film effects staff at Weta Workshop. The models are 2.4 times life size as can be seen with people about in the background. The detail is so exact from hairs on the arms and fingers to the flies on the food.

ttp://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/video-gallipoli--the-scale-of-our-war-exhibit-opens-2015041709

Further coverage of the display and that of a live WW1 survivor.

http://www.3news.co.nz/tvshows/campbelllive/oldest-wwi-survivor-immortalised-for-te-papa-weta-exhibition-2015041718#axzz3YAJBFteb

Doug