WW1 Leyland???

I have had a look at this one. I'm not too sure that it is WW1 but others may know more than I do about Leylands.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WW1-Leyland-Truck-Ex-British-Army-/300745587414?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item4605d57ad6

The seller is a pretty good bloke. He also has another similar Leyland on his place.

Regards Rick.

I have had a look at this one. I'm not too sure that it is WW1 but others may know more than I do about Leylands.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WW1-Leyland-Truck-Ex-British-Army-/300745587414?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item4605d57ad6

Isn't that a date stamp at the top of the engine data plate in the last photo?

If so, 30/5/21 makes it decidedly post WW1...

With acknowledgement to information published by the Leyland Society the following may well apply: serial no. 16387 is a 5/6 ton chassis within the batch 16179 - 16687 built between 10/27 and 9/28. The first vehicle featured may be serial no. 17021 ?, again a similar vehicle from the next batch within 16687 to 17206 built 10/28 to 9/29. World War one 'Subsidy' types or 'RAF' types generally do not have louvers in the top of the bonnet sides.

Richard Peskett.

The radiator side panels show it is post WW1. These have the mountings bolted from the sides to the chassis where as the WW1 Leylands have the radiator mounted on round sections extending out from the bottom tank. The radiator is also taller than the latter model.

The brass plate with unit number is common in identifying larger parts; diff, front axle and gearbox.

Along the front cross member will be stamped numbers indicating model, chassis number and works number.

Leyland( along with many other manufacturers) exported an large number of trucks in the early to mid 20's. As a result there are plenty of parts about. ( When I say plenty they are much more common then finding parts for pre 1920 Leylands.)

Doug:-)

The radiator side panels show it is post WW1. These have the mountings bolted from the sides to the chassis where as the WW1 Leylands have the radiator mounted on round sections extending out from the bottom tank. The radiator is also taller than the latter model.

The brass plate with unit number is common in identifying larger parts; diff, front axle and gearbox.

Along the front cross member will be stamped numbers indicating model, chassis number and works number.

Leyland( along with many other manufacturers) exported an large number of trucks in the early to mid 20's. As a result there are plenty of parts about. ( When I say plenty they are much more common then finding parts for pre 1920 Leylands.)

Doug:-)

I was interested in bidding on this truck but not if it is not WW1 as advertised. Your informed opinion would be that it is NOT of WW1 era. Is that correct?

The chassis numbers would give us the answer. They are stamped on the front cross member. Agree heavy 5-6 ton model. Possibly PH. Alas there are two similar and restored Leylands in different museums in NSW that are mis-described as being built in the mid-10's when they are actually mid-20's models. Perhaps this is why many people think these trucks were built at an earlier date.

My best guess would be mid to late twenties.

Robert

It would appear both of these trucks are of 1920's manufacture. Overall there is little difference to those built for WW1 use. However in saying this I can then start on the variance that occurred as the models were updated over the years and also to handle heavier loads. Front axles have different shapes, chassis mountings of drive-shaft hangers change, radiators change, bonnets change, scuttle varies and engines change in both size, (HP) and slight difference in casting shape of the cylinders.

Short of having the chassis numbers to confirm years, I am prepared to say these are mid 20's trucks.

Also of interest is the steel radiator top tanks. These could be of local manufacture to increase the cooling capacity. Originals were cast alloy.

As a vintage truck for restoration least they appear reasonably complete mechanically.

Doug

If I have read the Leyland Society chart correctly chassis no. 15999 was built between January and September 1927. The PH2 model was in the 5/6 ton range. I am restoring a PH2 with chassis no. 15327 built in 1924. There is another one in the Kempsey museum. Both have bevel diffs and spoke wheels. High radiator. 11487 - batch number? Regards...

hi redherring, i have the front half of a large leyland and a rolling chassis of the same model as well, the engine tag has engine no 601

19 8 24 and engine type S6B, on the top of the front crossmember is 45323 8092 there are no visible letters in front of these numbers and i thought this was a 5 ton size leyland, the rear wheels are 850 diam and 15 inches wide but there is no rubber on them, i was wondering if the leyland for sale was mechanically the same? as i have no gearbox or gatechange controls and the large wheel in the diff on my full length chassis has been robbed, any advice would be appreciated, thanks mike.

leyland S6 plate.jpg

Mike. This plate is from a 40HP motor in a 1925 chassis #15773. You would/could/should expect your chassis to have a number in the vicinity of this one - unless the motor is a replacement. The chassis number you quoted 45323 doesn't fit in any number range I have seen. That's not to say the ranges are complete - there were many Leyland chassis variants. Does your chassis have any red paint!? What is the number on the second chassis? Robert

thanks for that doug, you would of thought one finger typing was idiot proof!- the engine plate does have 40 h/p on it, i'll try and post a few pictures if that helps, i have been told that leylands from this period were quiet common in aus and nz, i'll be in touch rob.

thanks mike.

Now that is an exciting shed!

Steve

Yes, Mike's shed is interesting. He has been able to collect up a number of vehicles, but in common with ourselves they are not complete. The missing parts always seem to be the same pieces,(diff, gearbox) and when one does come along its off a different model and doesn't fit.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I scored both trucks. They are a GH2 circa 1926 and a PH 2 1927, just before the ricardo engine came in with detatchable head. The header tanks would have corroded and been repaired with the steel jobs. The 1921 engine is a replacement. The conversions to pneumatics is very well done but uses 24" tyres. I have some solid wheels so hopefully I will be able to convert one back to solid tyres. They were sold through the Sydney agent but otherwise I have no idea of their provenance.

The one in a museum referred to would be "Blue Gem" at Inverell Transport Museum. It is either a QH6 or PH6 with Ricardo engine, so would be 1928 and is a fabulous restoration.