DPM Para Smock DPM Sniper Smock Green Windproof Smock

wdbikemad

Three questions:

Does anybody have an example of the early-issue British DPM para smock - introduced during 1977-78, this version should have the sizing in numbers (eg: "Size 2") rather than metric, and will not have the small field dressing pocket fitted to the rear upper-right arm....

Sniper Smock - introduced during 1977-78, there may exist two versions. Can anybody confirm if the earlier version has a partial green poplin lining as per the para smock ? Later versions seem to have the partial lining in DPM....The August 1986 Combat Clothing catalogue lists two models of sniper smock together with NSN's......can anybody confirm further details ?

Windproof Smock - the 1963 pattern (full zip) "SAS" smock was manufactured in olive green gaberdine during the late 1960's....I've seen a couple of examples worn in period photos plus one original example seen at a distance.....not to be confused with the wartime smock made in green denim material....

If anyone can assist with the above, or post some images, this would be great. Thanks !

Three questions:

Does anybody have an example of the early-issue British DPM para smock - introduced during 1977-78, this version should have the sizing in numbers (eg: "Size 2") rather than metric, and will not have the small field dressing pocket fitted to the rear upper-right arm....

Sniper Smock - introduced during 1977-78, there may exist two versions. Can anybody confirm if the earlier version has a partial green poplin lining as per the para smock ? Later versions seem to have the partial lining in DPM....The August 1986 Combat Clothing catalogue lists two models of sniper smock together with NSN's......can anybody confirm further details ?

Windproof Smock - the 1963 pattern (full zip) "SAS" smock was manufactured in olive green gaberdine during the late 1960's....I've seen a couple of examples worn in period photos plus one original example seen at a distance.....not to be confused with the wartime smock made in green denim material....

If anyone can assist with the above, or post some images, this would be great. Thanks !

Hi Steve,

I have a size 3 Para smock - old 68 pattern style - originally issued to a Sergeant on tour with 2Para in NI in 1979. Nice bit of kit in the older lighter colours and I do not see many of them...

I also have a Size 5 sniper smock but I think it was an experimental version as the label is a prototype SCRDE version with no maker name or NSN. I have posted a picture of it on HMVF somewhere. Will try to find it so I can confirm the lining but from memory I think it has the green lining...

Finally I have a couple of examples of the 63 windproof but in DPM not olive green...

If interested I can post some pics of the above but will have to dig them out first!

Hi Steve,

I have a size 3 Para smock - old 68 pattern style - originally issued to a Sergeant on tour with 2Para in NI in 1979. Nice bit of kit in the older lighter colours and I do not see many of them...

I also have a Size 5 sniper smock but I think it was an experimental version as the label is a prototype SCRDE version with no maker name or NSN. I have posted a picture of it on HMVF somewhere. Will try to find it so I can confirm the lining but from memory I think it has the green lining...

Finally I have a couple of examples of the 63 windproof but in DPM not olive green...

If interested I can post some pics of the above but will have to dig them out first!

Hi Jason - that would be great ! I need to fill in a couple of gaps in my current research, so any photos would be a real bonus. Many thanks.

I have a sniper smock, ex RAF Regiment (RAF Honington).

It has metric sizing and has a partial DPM lining.

There is no manufacturers name, the contract no. is not clear.

The NSN is 8415-99-1?0-8040.

It appears to have been modelled on a Para smock.

sniper smock 2.jpg

sniper smock1.jpg

Hi Paul - many thanks for this post.......the item was introduced during 1977-78, and I'm wondering about the specification from this early period....yours is from the post-1984 period going by the metric sizing but still very useful....many thanks !

Great images Jason - thank you !

The sniper smock is indeed a SCRDE developmental model intended for troop trials....I would date this example as circa 1977 - 78....

The size 9 '60 pattern is very nice...I have a couple of these plus trousers in the same size and condition....this smock looks to be one of the large batch of size 7s, 8s and 9s released NOS onto the UK surplus market during 1980 - 81 for £12 each (why didn't I buy any ??!!)......

The '63 pattern DPM windproof is also very nice.....I've only seen these made by James Smith & Co, so perhaps they had the only contract(s) ? This one dates from 1970 - 73 I think....

£12 each (why didn't I buy any ??!!)..........

Hear, hear - I won't tell you what I paid for this but it was a little more than £12!!

The '63 pattern DPM windproof is also very nice.....I've only seen these made by James Smith & Co, so perhaps they had the only contract(s) ? This one dates from 1970 - 73 I think....

I too have only ever seen James Smith & Co as the maker....

Edited by Eaglehurst

• 1 month later...

This is a beauty, my P68 Para Smock, which was badged to a Corporal, no DZ Flash though but it did have wings on. I picked this up for £30 with minor damages and I had to replace the cuffs as they were too long.

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

This is my P85 DPM Para Smock, which is one of my crown Jewels, I managed to score this for £15 with minor damages which were repaired I replaced the Cuffs on this, it has 95 Pattern Pockets on the Back and a Rankslide.

I think this might be made by Arktis, but all the labels are faded.

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

Cheers

Rory

The DPM para smock first appeared around 1977-78, although many TA units continued with the Denison until at least 1980.........

First issue DPM para smocks were made in the size range 1 to 9 plus "special" and rumour has it some "0" sizes were also made for the vertically challenged........around 1981-82 the old numbered sizes were replaced by metric sizing........

In 1984 the additional FFD pocket was added to the upper right sleeve.......

Early DPM para smocks have "Newey" marked press fasteners though smaller than those found on the Denison......some early smocks also feature a variant press fastener of the "stud & ring" type.......

Early DPM para smocks can be found in all sorts of colour variations.....some were made in the old '68 pattern 100% cotton sateen cloth although by '78 the newer semi-synthetic 50/50 or 70/30 cotton-modal fabric was also in production...I guess it depended on stocks of fabric held by manufacturers at the time.....

One word of warning to collectors....."dotted" type light shade DPM was still in production in the early 1980's though now of the semi-synthetic mix.....it is never reliable to go on the colour and pattern alone when dating any DPM smock or garment. Look for other clues !!!

Looking at the material used I thinkthat this one is a later pattern maybe using the 90 pattern material what with the ochre colour on the reverse of the pattern

Dont know if this picture upload has worked but if it has it may be of interest. Its a version of the old British Army 60 pattern smock made for the Bahrain Defence Force in the 1970's

Has it got the stiched collars? its quite obscure but nice.

Regarding the P68 Para Smock, the labels are all washed out, they a light OD now, the text has come off.

The cuffs on the sleeves were often emulated by troops for combat jackets who had the local tailor use the issue gloves as the donor material, really improved the comfort of the venerable combat jacket. Some unit RSMs frowned upon it, others forbid it as a form of destruction of HM property.

R

Dont know if this picture upload has worked but if it has it may be of interest. Its a version of the old British Army 60 pattern smock made for the Bahrain Defence Force in the 1970's

I remember during the 1980's one of the large surplus wholesalers had these for sale new....all small sizes......from memory, although copied from the '60 pattern British garment complete with stitched collar, etc, the garment was not particularly well made....and as for the cammo pattern....well !! "Duck Hunter" pattern....:D

Has it got the stiched collars? its quite obscure but nice.

Regarding the P68 Para Smock, the labels are all washed out, they a light OD now, the text has come off.

It has all the attributes of the British 60 pattern smock (stitched collar etc) but is made of a thick cotton with a much looser or coarser weave than the British item.

It has all the attributes of the British 60 pattern smock (stitched collar etc) but is made of a thick cotton with a much looser or coarser weave than the British item.

It is interesting to note that the late-pattern Denison smock was commercially produced during the late-1970's by J & S Franklin LTD for some obscure African nation.....it is almost a dead copy of the British MoD version but with commercial labels..........they occasionally turn up for sale on Fleabay.......rumour has it that they were worn by the "enemy" in the film "The Wild Geese".....I think Survival Aids also made a fairly good copy too during the 1980's...??