ww2 british kitchen and equipment

Radek

Oh, now I am so sorry to all british patriots. If this was used during ww2, It looks like zuloo war model.:nut:

Many thanks for posting.

I am looking for field kithcen.

I have only cooker No. 2 and No. 3. What do you thing, will be enought for a little camp and for around ten soldiers?

Another question. Can I find any spare parts for this cookers, for example tank cap and grill for No.2?

Cheers Radek

or like

Oh no.:yay::iloveyou:

Now I don´t know what will be for me better on the reenactment meatings?!! If I will take own tinned food or newer but newer ask the cooker what hes cooking.:angel::)

Thats Peter! He golds the World Haggis Record! :shake:

• 2 weeks later...

for 10 to 15 i would use a No3 cooker (you can make a good old army stew with dumlinings for them )

if you can get hold of one there the good old soyer cooker now that's a cooker you can cook for up to 100 with one but idely youd be better with 3 one to keep hot water and one for the stew and one for veg

Soyer Cooker

The first cooker adopted by the British Army after demonstrations of the prototypes by Alex Soyer to the British Army in Crimea. They have been used continually until the 1980's when the vast majority of the British Army stock was lost in the sinking of the Atlantic Conveyor during the Falklands War.

Capable of boiling 12 gallons of liquid using any available solid fuel they are simple and efficient. The original specification was that two, together with wood for fuel could be carried by a mule.

The Soyer was adopted as standard by the Civil Defence organisation during WW2 and examples staffed by the Woman’s Voluntary Service were used to provide emergency food in the bombed areas during the Blitz. After WW2 large numbers were put into storage in the event of a nuclear attack.

A slight variation to the soyer was the Ludgate boiler which could be identified by slightly longer feet and a different firebox arrangement.

peter%20fort%20veldhoues%20holland%201996.jpg

Cooker%20No_3%20This%20example%20is%20dated%201945.jpg

peter%20fort%20veldhoues%20holland%201996.jpg

Edited by armycook

Cooker Petrol No.1

Introduced in 1939 the Cooker No.1 or Hydro burner as it was known became standard equipment for the next 40 years until health and safety ruled them unsafe for use.

Consisting of a 2 gallon petrol tank pressurised by a foot or built in band pump, it fired a jet of flame along a trench covered by metal plates. These interlocking plates had holes to accommodate camp kettles (left of photo below, or the stainless centres of hay boxes as being used above (Hay box outer extreme right

Cooker Petrol No.2

This is a single burner cooker in a folding case, powered by pressurised petrol from a small tank at the front. It has its own windbreak as part of the case. Maintenance tools are attached to the side of the windbreak and a funnel supplied for filling.

This cooker was introduced during the Second World War and mainly issued to crews of armoured vehicles. It is issued with a stainless steel cooking vessel whose lid can be used as a frying pan. The cooker and pan are held together with a leather strap and are normally found fastened to the outside of a fighting vehicle as they were part of the CSE (Complete Schedule of Equipment) issued to a vehicle.

They remained in use until the 1980's when due the change from petrol powered vehicles they were replaced.

Care has to be exercised when using these cookers as the leather gaskets dry out if not used and petrol can leak from the pressure pump and ignite.

Cooker petrol No.3

This is a two-burner version introduced during World War Two. This version could be used by a Section or Platoon of soldiers. It could also be used with a standard oven for baking.

It folds away to the size of a small suitcase.

Field Oven

This small portable oven is designed to be used with the No.1 and No.3 Petrol cookers. It has two shelves and sits directly above the No.3 cooker, or on the plates of the No 1. There are two opening vents on the top to control airflow which also can be used to heat pans.

oven%202.JPG

Cooker, Field, Triplex, No.4

The Cooker Number 4 is a portable oven (according the Civil Defence manual all parts could be lifted by two WVS ladies) with a cast iron range on the side. The fire is set up in the end of the range and the heat drawn along the range and around the oven. The earliest photo showing one in use is at a camp in 1914 and was still in the 1956 manual as well as the 1960's Civil Defence manual. Our example came from these stocks, although we understand that examples were still held as late as 2005 (RAF mobile catering stores)

No4.JPG

The Cooker Number 4 is a portable oven (according the Civil Defence manual all parts could be lifted by two WVS ladies) with a cast iron range on the side. The fire is set up in the end of the range and the heat drawn along the range and around the oven. The earliest photo showing one in use is at a camp in 1914 and was still in the 1956 manual as well as the 1960's Civil Defence manual. Our example came from these stocks, although we understand that examples were still held as late as 2005 (RAF mobile catering stores)

No4.JPG

No 4 Cook set MkII

stirling%20castle%20may2006%20318.jpg

stirling%20castle%20may2006%20319.jpg

stirling%20castle%20may2006%20320.jpg

stirling%20castle%20may2006%20321.jpg

The cooking Outfit Field No4 MkII is designed to provide a mobile kitchen facilty capable of producing meals for up to 150-200 personnel using fresh or composite rations, or emergency meals of stew, soup and tea for up to 300 personnel in the field. Sufficent equipment is provisioned to enable baking, roasting, frying and boilling operations to be undertaken simultaneously.

The Outfit is mounted on an in-service 3/4 tonne wide body two-wheeled trailer with a special cookset body and canopy and frame. Fuel supply can be Combat gas / Civgas or LPG (Propane) but on our cooker we can only use LPG. It opens out to a full kitchen with five work tops- three are for food preparation surfaces and two for food service tables- all are made in stainless steel. There are also 2 fire extinguishers and a fire blanket fitted in brackets on the rear of trailer.

you are quit correct in that the wartime No 2 did have an external fuel tank. but the one with the internal tank did a peer very late 45 to see it used in wartime i can't say but is basically the same unit apart from the tank being on the inside. the mane thing with them is to keep the jets clean and don't let the washer dry out . and to never fill when hot ( i have seen a few cooks doing this believe me they go up fast they are not known as Tommy cookers for nothing) but on the hole if you look after them they are a grate bit of kit and work well .

• 1 month later...

The first day food only from my kitchen. The cook is my best friend. :)

http://czechlions.rajce.idnes.cz/09-11-14_Ukazka_C.Krumlov09-festival_valecneho_filmu/'>http://czechlions.rajce.idnes.cz/09-11-14_Ukazka_C.Krumlov09-festival_valecneho_filmu/'>http://czechlions.rajce.idnes.cz/09-11-14_Ukazka_C.Krumlov09-festival_valecneho_filmu/

http://czechlions.rajce.idnes.cz/

IMG_0756.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Radek,

some pictures of the British Hydro Burner

it's possible to see some difference, pattern with hand pump and pattern with foot pump

1939_s10.jpg

8c559a10.jpg

94692a10.jpg

cooker10.jpg

cookho10.jpg

a model find in Ciney, this year

p1010110.jpg

p1010111.jpg

p1010112.jpg

p1010113.jpg

p1010114.jpg

• 8 years later...