Rover 10 was 88” SIIA from 1967 to 1971.

404boy

Hi

Does anyone have any details on the above landrover model, im looking for pictures to help with a project, also any in service pictures in colour would be great, but for a start id settle for the spec of them did they have military rear cross members, bolt out gearbox cross member etc etc

Cheers

Joe D

Hi Clive,

thanks for that, its a 12v gs model (*), the headlights on mine are on the wing faces, it could have been changed at any time, also it was supplied bronze green and repainted blue in later life,

(*) its a rhd export model hard top civic spec that i want to mock up as a military series 11, im ditching the hardtop in favour of a sand coloured canvas and fume curtin

joe d

Joe. I have the IPC in front of me for Rover 10 & 11. It is dated 1973 & includes the late 2A with headlights in the wings. I don't know whether CL Rovers were used that early, they certainly were for Series 3 - probably won't matter anyway as most people will think it's S3 because of the headlight position!

Saw you on the intro thread, I can picture your group now. I was with EMLRA in the LH field just before the bridge in my Shorland.

Clive,

I saw you shorland, it looks well, were in the america's field in the same spot for near on ten years at this stage, do you know where i might come across a copy of the rover 10 manual in either hard or soft copy form

Joe D

• 2 weeks later...

Now there is something wrong I suspect with the info. posted by Clive , The Rover 10 was only available in 12 volt GS. My understanding is that there was not a FFR version because this role was taken by the Rover 1 (2A Lightweight).

I do like the sketch with the toastrack grille but this is stretching it.

Basically there were two versions early (as the one I have , that has been messed and needs a new chassis) deep sills, with headlamps in the radiator grill, airlift bumperettes. Later version with headlamps in the wings and fitted with the basic curved end series bumperette (I will not state S3 because this was not the case).

Both versions on combat chassis with rear bumperettes , underseat fuel tank(s) fill (so if yours has external fill it has been PO modified) , MOD spec. lighting fittings, razor edge bonnets, spare wheel mount on bonnet.

ISTR that the later version contracts may have been RAF not Army , so I would be interested to know the VRM ?

Chassis - front member 1 single hole for relay , so not so easy to change to LHD or other way (cost saving I suppose). I am 95% certain no removable gearbox x member but need to confirm by a look on underside !

Now if RAF - it could be 24 volt , the odd helistart (well nomenclature plated) turn up and chassis No. reveals they were originally line built under a Army Contract as a FFR (Rover 6 & 8) - BUT I have not known a Rover 10 like this.

PS. Most like the tractor headlamp early version , I do but I also like the later version - they are RARE.

Now there is something wrong I suspect with the info. posted by Clive , The Rover 10 was only available in 12 volt GS. My understanding is that there was not a FFR version because this role was taken by the Rover 1 (2A Lightweight).

All I did was to quote the publication that appears to cover Rover 10 FFR.

I appreciate that the Rover 1 fulfilled the FFR role well, but it was not in service in March 1967.

App1356.jpg

App1357.jpg

App1358.jpg

Clive

well the 351/352 manpack, 349 battery charger and dccu 14v which will give me a lead to charge the 351/352 battery as well also considering the 353 as i seen the on their own working for €100 on ebay, but will have to run it off to leisure batteries in the back of the landrover

joe d

Clive

well the 351/352 manpack, 349 battery charger and dccu 14v which will give me a lead to charge the 351/352 battery as well also considering the 353 as i seen the on their own working for €100 on ebay, but will have to run it off to leisure batteries in the back of the landrover joe d

Joe I thought I was onto to something as I have EMER COMMUNICATION INSTALLATIONS M 200 "Clansman insecure net radio installations in 1/2 ton FFR & GS Land Rovers".

Unlike many other vehicles it doesn't give the layout in the EMER. It lists all 31 combinations of Clansman kit to go in a 1/2 ton (there are 103 combinations for a 3/4 ton!). Instead it refers the reader to the either the 11 supplements in Part 7 or the 27 supplements in Part 8 of the User Handbook Army Code No.61590.

Sorry I don't have these supplements, but at least you know where to look for the definitive layout rather than rely on seeing an installation at a show which could be to the owner's personal interpretation.

Quote FV1609

All I did was to quote the publication that appears to cover Rover 10 FFR.

-----------------------

Clive - I don't know 100% for certain , it is just what I have always understood to be the case. In the light of the documentary evidence that you have, you expect the MOD to be correct with these things. I wonder if some deskwalla just got carried away having reviewed Rover 6 & 8 documents and just profuced a new cover to the book ?

I suppose there could have been the odd 24 volt version and it would take some buff with all the Solihull dispatch records.

Is it because there was confusion as there was a FFR Rover 11 ?

I suppose I am wobbling at 98% certainty that there was only 12 volt GS. There may have been export orders for 24 volt but that does not answer for the publication you have. If it was in error , then you would expect it would be noticed and a amendment with new cover or stick on correction ?

http://www.rafpa.com/ops..htm

Clive

Somewhere I have a copy of the above photograph (this is cut down for book cover). Interesting because it has the antenna sprouting out through the canvas roof at the centre of the hoop behind the seats. I did once check the number 96 AA 48 and IIRC it was 1968 , the RAF ones (early & late style) did not have front airlift bumperettes - possibly there was a 24 volt Rover 10 Helistart ?

I suppose there could have been the odd 24 volt version and it would take some buff with all the Solihull dispatch records.

Is it because there was confusion as there was a FFR Rover 11 ?

I suppose I am wobbling at 98% certainty that there was only 12 volt GS. There may have been export orders for 24 volt but that does not answer for the publication you have. If it was in error , then you would expect it would be noticed and a amendment with new cover or stick on correction ?

No amendments recorded in my edition. It was being regularly lent out by the Technical Library of 44 Comd Wksp up until 1972 & I would have expected that of all copies to be kept up to date.

The ISPL for Rover 10 & 11 Army Code No.22007 shows the loom & component layout for FFR Rover 10.

I know that there were at least 2 wheeled vehicle contracts for Rover 10 24v, although they could have been for the RAF.

No amendments recorded in my edition. It was being regularly lent out by the Technical Library of 44 Comd Wksp up until 1972 & I would have expected that of all copies to be kept up to date.

Clive,

I was well aquainted with that particular Technical Library and can positively say that they were very proficient at keeping up with amendments.

:)

Refering to page 16 of The Half-Ton Military Land Rover by Mark J. Cook

He states :-

From 1961 to 1967 , a very large number of Rover 8 12 volt GS and 24 volt FFR vehicles were ordered and delivered.

Only relatively small numbers of Rover 10 GS and 24 volt (but not FFR) vehicles were delivered, however, because the Rover 1 was to take its place, although this was not the original intention since only 75 Rover 1s initially required.

===============================

So it seems they were like the last of line "KD" Lightweights , 24 volt but not FFR , or possibly they were RAF Helistart ?

I have never seen one.

That seems to be the answer , but I am now wondering when the build date of those contracts would be . Would they be early or late type Rover 10 ?

Clive - do you have any record of the very last Rover 10 (headlamps in the wings & shallow sills) such as start / finish date of build , VRN's etc. because I suspect they were only made for the RAF and I have been keeping my eyes open.

The ISPL is dated June 1970 & what I think is the final amendment is dated April 1973, listing 87 separate contracts for Rover 10 & 11. The two above are numbers 20 & 21, so quite early on.

App1362.jpg

Clearly a Rover 10, the Rover 11 has its own drawing.

App1360.jpg

No ERMs I'm afraid.

PS The User Handbook dated March 1967 only lists 3 WO contracts. At that stage none for AM, although the book is allocated an AP number.

Edited by fv1609

In case anyone should think the Rover 10 was for some reason merely 24v but not actually FFR, I should have posted this as well. It shows the Rover 10, with not only the generating system & power distribution, but also the arrangement of the FFR coaxial cables.

App1361.jpg

Thanks Clive for that info. I am going to have to print all this off and keep it handy in file , bit of a turn up for the book. It does seem conclusive then that there were Rover 10 FFR's - I need somebody now with good details of all the Rover 10 contracts , I suspect they were only for the later style Rover 10 - probably only for RAF ?

I am certain I have never seen Army or RAF FFR Rover 10 , probably only built in small quantity. I always wondered why my Rover 10 had all the antenna reinforcement under the front and rear wings , because this would have been done just for commonality of design / parts but I had been reliably informed (REME apprentice mechanic from when we left school in 1965) they were GS only.

It does seem conclusive then that there were Rover 10 FFR's - I need somebody now with good details of all the Rover 10 contracts , I suspect they were only for the later style Rover 10 - probably only for RAF ?

I am certain I have never seen Army or RAF FFR Rover 10 , probably only built in small quantity.

Of the 87 contracts for Rover 10 & 11 as at April 1973, the only Rover 10 FFR were those two RAF contracts WV7129 & WV6907.

As regards the reference in the book, it was me that supplied the list of contracts.

• 11 months later...

I was re-visiting this thread and have a few comments. The image that Clive posted of the Rover 10 is very likely inaccurate. The handbooks are fairly notorious for errors that are not always updated (Series 3 FFR with the battery lead connected to give 12 volts springs to mind).

As pointed out early in the thread the Rover 10 is shown with the 'toast rack' grill. This was fitted to Rovers with the 40 amp charging system which I gather was last fitted to a Land Rover in 1964. (Contract WV2985 Rover 8 have 4 batches with the 1st being RHD 24v 40 amp and the 4th being RHD 24v 90amp). I own one of the vehicles from the 1st batch which has the 'toast rack' grill. I also have the Parts Peculiar list for the 90 amp batch (Army Code 20523 Parts Peculiar Only for Truck F.F.R. ¼ Ton, 4x4, Rover 8 with 90 amp. Generator 1) which does not list the 'toast rack' grill.

Other points of concern are that the illustration Clive posted shows the individual wipers fitted to the windscreen as fitted to the Rover 8. The Rover 10 should (I think) have the single wiper motor fitted to the bulkhead. There may have been a small crossover period for parts, but I am sure the Rover 10 and 11 always had the single wiper motor. I am uncertain whether the front bumperettes were made shorter at the start of the Rover 10 and 11, but the two 1968 Rover 11's I have both have the short version.