Dynamos converted to alternators.

gritineye

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

We are working on this at the moment because of the shortage of control boxes for all this old stuff.cw

apparently they can build an alternator inside your old dynamo casing,

Seems quite feasible when you consider that a dynamo is in effect an alternator but has a mechanical switching system performing the role of a rectifier to produce DC.

The two difficulties I've encountered have been

1) Alternators are generally larger diameter for similar output (often fouling water pipes/coolers and other ancillaries) - this is more of a problem when replacing civilian type dynamos as military ones tend to be 'big' to say the least!

2) Alternators ideally should run a bit faster than dynamos, so they tend not to charge so well at very low speeds unless you alter pulleys.

A business here was advertising these . They look somewhat like the ubiquitous LUCAS C39-40 series ..but are actually 80 amp rated alternators ...I spotted them in a local old car magazine here .

Mike

PS the mag is RESTORED CARS and the business was at Castlemaine in Victoria

Disconnected! Simplest way for wiring is to use an alternator with built-in regulator.

But if the idea is to preserve the original look, then surely the charge wires should still run to the redundant control box (still in place) and bypass the internal workings. I would asume most people would require the ammeter where fitted to also work.

But if the idea is to preserve the original look, then surely the charge wires should still run to the redundant control box (still in place) and bypass the internal workings. I would asume most people would require the ammeter where fitted to also work.

Absolutely! The case can also make a good extra fuseboard. I've stripped out a perfectly good control box from the Autocar (which had been bypassed long before I got it) - the internals I can sell on for someone to repair an original, and the case will soon house a wiring junction box and flasher unit :)

Can anyone tell us more about these 80amp units mentioned by goanna? I can't seem to find them on Gritineye's link :confused: