Ingleton 4/5th July

We set off to Ingleton on Friday morning in bright sun. However by the time we got onto the A66, the rain was hammering down, cutting everones speed to that of the Jeep! Upon arrival at 2:30, it was still hammering down, so we sat in the jeep for the next 90 minutes until the rain stopped to allow us to get the tent up. The weekend was luckily fairly warm and dry. The town was packed, and during the liberation, I couldn't get anywhere near the action.

I spent most of the weekend in the field by the waterfalls with Bodge, leaving only for the Sunday Parade and road run which ended up at the Ribblehead Viaduct for some photos.

Driving back to Ingleton, as I was dropping down the approach road, I was overtaken by the BBMF PR Spitfire about the same height as me, also diving in to the village. I was surprised how many people said it didn't sound like a Spitfire. I guess everyone assumes it has to be Merlin powered just because it is a Spit. I'm fairly sure this was PM631 a Photo Recon Mk XIX. Also displaying on Sunday was the BBMF Dakota, ZA947. Flying low over the trees, it could have been a supply drop over Arnhem.

A very enjoyable weekend and worth a visit.

http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2009/ingleton1.jpg

http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2009/ingleton2.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

About as far from Beltring in scale as you could get, but no doubt a delightful weekend. Wonderful scenery up there.

There seems to be a bit of a hold-up in pics 7 and 9 - don't tell me, someone got a Diamond T 980 wedged between the butcher's and the ironmonger's in the narrow High Street....:cool2:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
RR Griffon, and I seem to recall the Germans fitting a DB605 in a captured example.

:thanx:

The weather was kind... sporadically! But overall good!

The event is lovely, very friendly and relaxed and a good selection of people and vehicles...

There was even a genuine '02 BMW M3 (complete with original tw@t behind the wheel) who tried to force his way into the parade between me and the pipes and drums as he wanted to 'go shopping' then decided actually he needed to 'visit his wife in hospital' or some bullsh1t! When i refused to shift the Dodge (as the road was closed and I was supposed to be a rolling roadblock and road was about 8deep on either side) he threatened to drag me out of the truck and move it himself... but I don't think "Yeah... F**kin' try it" in perfect stereo from me and my brother was really the response he was expecting!

Honestly people eh?

Still he got a very loud booing and jeering from the crowd who were watching...

It's amazing how slowly you can make a WC51 crawl when you put your mind to it ;)

But apart from that it was great fun!!!

Rupert - that isn't very sporting old boy :coffee;

Whats sporting got to do with pillocks like that..... do unto others as they would do to you only make sure you do it first:n00b:;)

Not that any special reason is necessary (other than local enthusiasm) to hold a great 40's weekend in a picturesque northern town, but is there a specific connection between Ingleton and WW2, e.g. training camp or something?