Restoring a CVRT

fadedsun

Darrel over at Milbiz told me he has some project CVRTs coming in.

What all is involved with restoring a CVRT from the US?

There is the cost of the vehicle

Shipping-Not sure how much, between 4000 and 5000 usd? Anyone have an idea?

And a new J60 will be needed, guaranteed.

Any ideas on what I"m getting myself into cost wise?

What will kill you is the cost of shipping over all the bits. You won't know what you really need untill you get in to it. I can help with NOS engines, wheels, tracks etc. If you have the money it will be worth filling the container with everything you might need. There is a guy over in the US who bid on all the CVRTs in a tender sale once, and won them all. He didn't realise they were all partially stripped, needing engines etc. As for restoring a CVRT, they are fairly easy, have a look at my website.

Chris

What will kill you is the cost of shipping over all the bits. You won't know what you really need untill you get in to it. I can help with NOS engines, wheels, tracks etc. If you have the money it will be worth filling the container with everything you might need. There is a guy over in the US who bid on all the CVRTs in a tender sale once, and won them all. He didn't realise they were all partially stripped, needing engines etc. As for restoring a CVRT, they are fairly easy, have a look at my website.

Chris

I'm an AAV crewman for the USMC so I have somewhat of an understanding about tracked vehicles. A CVRT would be more manageable than an fv432.

Another guy told me between 4-5 thousand USD for shipping. Not sure if that's accurate or not hough.

I think you'll find owning and restoring a British AFV in the USA a lot different to crewing one in the USMC, especially when you have to put the fuel in it and pay for the spares when it goes wrong! You might be better off buying one already in the states, in running condition, rather than importing a project.

darrel knows his stuff and if you ask l i am sure he will give you a serious run down on what is needed....I was looking at his striker for sale, not knowing the cvr t very well it looked a bit too much for me to do. But if your okay mechanically and can spray you have a good chance of getting one running pretty good...

Yes they are easy enough to restore, but it's hard enough finding some of the parts here in the UK where they've been in service for nearly 40 years. Remember they are also in service in approx 18 other countries. When it comes to selling spares these other countries will pay much more than a private owner and the dealers will price spares accordingly. Over here in the UK it's possible to find bits at shows, on ebay or through contacts who are breaking them. That will be impossible to do from 3000 miles away.

I've had 3 CVRT restoration projects, I also looked at Darrel's Strikers. They are fairly easy to work on, but don't under estimate the ammount of work required to make a nice one. Especially those Belgian Scorpions and Scimitars, which have been standing outside filling up with water for 10 years.

Yes they are easy enough to restore, but it's hard enough finding some of the parts here in the UK where they've been in service for nearly 40 years. Remember they are also in service in approx 18 other countries. When it comes to selling spares these other countries will pay much more than a private owner and the dealers will price spares accordingly. Over here in the UK it's possible to find bits at shows, on ebay or through contacts who are breaking them. That will be impossible to do from 3000 miles away.

I've had 3 CVRT restoration projects, I also looked at Darrel's Strikers. They are fairly easy to work on, but don't under estimate the ammount of work required to make a nice one. Especially those Belgian Scorpions and Scimitars, which have been standing outside filling up with water for 10 years.

I'm not interested in making a nice one, just running for now. What will probably happen is I'll get the ferret now and start putting up parts for the CVRT...like a new engine.

Are the jaguar j60s straight from a jag car the same as the AFV version? (I think the alternator is bigger, maybe coolant pump?).

Thanks for the help! British vehicles are different than American ones. Much, much smaller and tighter. I'm 5-11...tight fit!

It is possible to use a civi jag engine, however the installation is very different from a car. I think the water pump is the same, but the electrics are completely different. It's all 24 volt and screened for radio interference. The alternator is mounted directly to the hull, as is the fan. There is an engine/gearbox heat exchanger too. It's much easier to fit the real thing than try and adapt something else. Vince (grasshopper) has used a jag engine from a fire engine before.

Are they road legal in your state?

Chris

It is possible to use a civi jag engine, however the installation is very different from a car. I think the water pump is the same, but the electrics are completely different. It's all 24 volt and screened for radio interference. The alternator is mounted directly to the hull, as is the fan. There is an engine/gearbox heat exchanger too. It's much easier to fit the real thing than try and adapt something else. Vince (grasshopper) has used a jag engine from a fire engine before.

Are they road legal in your state?

Chris

Chris,

No, not road legal. They can be if they are "farm equipment" and marked as such however, and operated outside of city limits.

(be sure to put a block of hay somewhere though!)