Markings:- 1941 Morris Com. CDSW

thedawnpatrol

Hi Chaps

Nearly finished my restoration of out Morris Commercial CDSW Recovery 6 X 4.

Now, she is all painted up in Brown/green camo as per 1941 period, but I am now about to apply Div. Markings and would apreachate your help.

Now, We want her in some way attached to the Oxfordshire & Buckingshire Light Infantry, I think I am right in that they were part of the Welsh Div. and would have the Welsh 'W' in red on a dark green background on the Drivers wing, But what about the other wing, would she have been a REME Vehicle ? and so have the REME Colours ? and a number over layed ?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Jules

Look out for her at Beltring!

Hi Chaps

But what about the other wing, would she have been a REME Vehicle ? and so have the REME Colours ? and a number over layed ?

Jules,

As others have said, REME was not formed until 1942 when it incorporated elements of RAOC and RASC. I think you will find that MT vehicles were normally maintained by Royal Army Service Corps workshops or LAD's. The sign for RASC is red and green square, divided bottom left to top right, with red to top. I have no info on what number to use for 1941, the numbers changed during the war period and also differed between infantry and armoured divisions.

Thanks for that Info, Very useful, I will use the RAOC Markings of RED/GREEN.

I will post some Pictures in the next few days.

Jules

Jules,

Just a correction there,

RAOC is three vertical stripes, RED-BLUE-RED

RASC is divided btm left to top right RED over GREEN

Some pics of a CDSW - albeit an artillery tractor - just so people know what this rare type of truck looks like:

spoelstra_08-may-2006_10.jpg spoelstra_08-may-2006_04.jpg

Click on the pictures to see large size scans and more pictures of this survivor, which I photographed at a show in Holland.

- Hanno