Hello from Greece

Fyll

Hello all,

I came across the forum while looking for info on the quad Polsten AA mount.

I've been interested in military vehicles for many years. My interest started from plastic modeling.

I live in Athens in Greece and I am a technical translator.

Over the years I've written articles for some magazines here in Greece and also for Tankette, the MAFVA journal.

If anybody needs info on MVs from Greece or Cyprus I may be able to help as I've collected a lot of info and photos over the years. Also if anybody is thinking of holiday in this part of the world I can tell them where to find MV related places such as museums and scrap-yards...

Fyll

Welcome to the forum Fyll . We've not heard very much about your part of the world here before so anything you have to say will be of great interest to us and particularly any photographs of vehicles you may like to post up . I've been thinking about buying one of the ex Greek M170 jeeps so any pictures of those will keep me happy . :)

Welcome Fyll to the very friendly forum.

I'm planning a trip to Greece sometime next year and some addresses to Military Vehicle dealers, sights to see, etc, would be extremely helpful.

I saw some pictures from a MV dealers yard in Athens, with Ford M8's among other stuff. Do you know which one I'm talking about?

I own a 1945 (Febr) Dodge WC51 that I bought from the Norwegian army in April 1994. I've been to Normandy twice, 1994 and this year, with it. It's marked as an ambulance (yes there were WC51's used as ambulances) of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force under Gen Clark's 5th Army in Ialy 1944-45.

My e-mail: goran_noren (at) yahoo (dot) com

Kindest regards

Goran Noren

Lidingo

Sweden

DodgeWC51 Normandy_BW_MG_6186.jpg

Hello all

Thanks for your kind welcome. I hope I can answer all your questions.

Tim, as far as I've been able to find out there aren't any WWI vehicles surviving in Greece. What there was probably finished off in WWII I guess.

My part of the world has seen many different MVs pass through here. Immediately post war our used British and commonwealth supplied vehicles, then the Us took over supporting us and we got tons of American stuff. After the '70s we started getting aid from W. Germany and through that channel got some ex-NVA stuff the cold war. We also use some locally manufactured vehicles and some Russian things. How's that for variety?

I'll scan some pics of M170s and also some M8s. There used to be plenty in scrap yards, but I haven't had the time to go looking recently and in the many construction projects that preceded the 2004 Athens Olympics many scrap yards were closed or perhaps relocated to make way for other things. If anybody needs any specific info just drop me an email.

Fyll

Hi there Les,

I was wondering when you'd get a wiff o' me on this forum:)

I've also seen some other familiar names around here...

Fyll

Edited by Fyll

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I haven't had time to scan anything yet but here are some vehicles I've photographed over the years:

Dodge_amb.jpg

This Dodge ambulance was still in service in the 1980's.

Mack-2.jpg

Mack-3.jpg

This brilliant Mack LMSW has long since disappeared form the scrap yard it was in.

powerwagon-4.jpg

powerwagon-3.jpg

The Hellenic Air Force used a number of these Dodge Power Wagon based bomb handling trucks.

M606-6.jpg

The army used the M606 counterpart and added various designs of closed cabs to some.

sM38-2.jpg

The M38 remained in service well into the 1980's.

M3A1Scoutcar-1.jpg

M3A1Scoutcar3.jpg

Our army also kept quite a few M3A1s well into the 1980's

Hope these are of some interest to somebody

Fyll

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all and apologies for disappearing from this thread,:red:

Sharky if they're still any use for you after all this time, you can find some pics of a streched M8 preserved at the Kalamata war museum here: http://www.modelclub.gr/forums/index.php/topic,12653.0/highlight,m8.html

Just scroll through the thread, it's in Greek, and you'll see the clickable thumbnails.

Also here are some pics I found on this thread:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53823

if I remeber correctly

p5280011a.jpg

p5280012.jpg

Also here are some pics of a M170 found in scrap yard near Athens

DSC_24711.jpg

DSC_2472.jpg

DSC_2473.jpg

Hope these help

Fyll

• 3 years later...

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was away on a two-week holiday and I was offline for the whole time.

It's hard to tell with absolute 100% certainty as now markings of any sort are visible but the cammo scheme could well be Greek. The shades look a bit dark but then again I have seen so many shades used that as I said it could be Greek :undecided:. For a couple of pictures of Greek Jeeps in cammo download this file http://www.lmdecals.gr/images/stories/pdf_files/LM35006%20Jeep%20Dodge%20EN.pdf

As for Saracen pics, I'm sorry I don't have any.:-(

Fyll

Welcome to the asylum there friend. Lovely part of the world you are in, love the Greek islands, not been that way for mant years.

Im into my Universal Carriers and T16`s if any are lying around doing nothing...! LOL

• 7 years later...