David Austin - RN and Railway Modeller

Greetings One and All,

The epic tale of the WW1 lorry restoration has brought me to this website and already I have found out something interesting for my model of the Overlord invasion army. All of my models need waterproofing stripes on the mudguards! The story of the model is in the attachments, and some photos which I hope you will find interesting.

I am amazed by the number of full scale vehicles that some of the forum members have, and the perfection of the restorations are a credit to you all. I have to limit myself to dressing up as a RN Commander and building models in 7mm scale (O gauge). But at least I can have lots and lots of variety in my toys.

Thanks for reading this and hope to be able to contribute to the forum at some point, hopefully with use useful stuff.

2003 SVR 1940 Ceri David goodbye 1.jpg

2003 SVR 1940 Ceri  David meeting 5.jpg

overlord train jun06 7a.jpg

overlord train jun06 9.jpg

SR Overlord Oct06 Wombridge 2a.jpg

Hello and welcome to another railway modeller! You can never have enough toys, only too little space to keep them. In addition to railroading in N scale, I have my Jeep and also build large scale R/C aircraft.

Here's a couple of pics from my last two layouts - 'Area 51' and 'Kingman - Depot 41'

http://www.sacarr.co.uk/railroads/area51/area51a.jpg

http://www.sacarr.co.uk/railroads/kingman/overview/overview1.jpg

Steve

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

The Jeep is fantastic. I'm sure someone on here posted a pic of a present day Jeep on rails at one of the events at some dockyard. Not last year I don't think, perhaps the year before?

My layouts are all for exhibition use, and are rarely set up at home other than for testing before a show. The pictures above show 'Area 51' ( which was sold ) and 'Kingman' set up in my 23' x 12' workshop. I do like N scale for the space you can create. Kingman is 11' 6" x 2' 6" with three separate lines, two loops and a figure 8, so at an exhibition, there's always something visible for people to see moving. Nothing worse than an exhibition layout and nothing moving.

To also keep peoples attention longer, especially the kids, I usually have a list of things on the layout to find. Workman with a sledge hammer, a Jeep, man with ladder etc.

Where abouts in the country are you? Just wondering what events you are likely to get to.

Steve

The Jeep is fantastic. I'm sure someone on here posted a pic of a present day Jeep on rails at one of the events at some dockyard. Not last year I don't think, perhaps the year before?

Bristol Docks, I think it was Martin Hammond, Jim Clark's partner in Allied Forces, who built it.

Hallo Steve,

I live in near to Warwick, and mainly attend 1940 events on preserved railway, will be posting some photos of the IOW event from last weekend which had some interesting and effective dioramas.

The railjeep was indeed in Bristol docks and I have the photo of it on my wall. I was thinking about getting one for the Severn Valley Railway but rather think that the manager might get a bit stuffy as it isnt steam.