Don Chews FWD

FWDTEXAS

There are 2 trailers down here I've seen that I originally thought were FWD trucks modified into trailers. This happened to a lot of FWD's, turned into hay carts when their lives were ended. The trailers are purpose built and I have 1930's photos of FWD trucks towing said trailers loaded with wheatbags. I don't know what the make is ie. FWD or Peerless etc.

Oh so thats the FWD that belongs to Don. What a loveley job he has done. It looks wonderful. How did it do on the run? Has he encountered a similar problems as we had been having with the fuel?

The wagon looks military. It looks similar to one of the 555 "America Car and Foundry" mobile workshop chassis used by the AEF. Not 100% certain, as i dont have many photos of them and they are all of poor quality to compare. But it looks interesting. Of course, it could also have been built for an industrial purpose.

Tim (too)

I was wondering how the steering worked on this trailer - there's no turntable for the front axle - but then I worked it out. Interesting! Is this common?

In Army Motors #87 (Spring 1999) there's a letter from a chap in Illinois who owns a very complete WW1 munitions wagon. Now that would look smart behind Don's ammo FWD!