Giant crankshaft manufacturing

Davie

Have a look at this link. A series of photos taken in a shipyard engineering workshop during the 1950's.

It's a crying shame that heavy industries like this in Britain have disappeared, and then shopping malls and the like appear on the land they once occupied.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons#The_Manufacturing_Process

Shrinking2.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Real men doing real jobs,and proud of it,the wages were probably rubbish but i bet they were proud of what they did,I see these chaps keeping pigeons,Fishing compatitions on sunday morning down the cut.Local league football,hollidaying on a Panther and sidecar.Better days you betcha.Great link thank goodness someone saved these pics.

goodolddays.jpg

Here we go they didnt need a giant polluting plane to have a good holliday.and no that isnt me,.

Thanks Davie, good link, that certainly brings back some memories. If anybody is interested in what went wrong in British industry I have just read a BBC book published in the 80's entitled 'All Our Working Lives'

ISBN 0 563 20117 7 it's quite an eye opener.

It's a crying shame that heavy industries like this in Britain have disappeared,

Not entirely, I work in manufacturing and a lot of stuff still gets made in the UK. The stuff we make here is specialst engineering such as aircraft engines, landing gear, wings and turbine parts for all kinds of power stations.

Super pics those. Love the BRS Atki... and the lack of safety goggles.

For comparrison. The world's largest marine engine:

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/emma-maersk-engine/the-worlds-largest-marine-diesel/'>http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/emma-maersk-engine/the-worlds-largest-marine-diesel/'>http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/emma-maersk-engine/the-worlds-largest-marine-diesel/

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/emma-maersk-engine/

Not entirely, I work in manufacturing and a lot of stuff still gets made in the UK. The stuff we make here is specialst engineering such as aircraft engines, landing gear, wings and turbine parts for all kinds of power stations.

Ok Chris, fair point. We do still have an engineering industry, but it's nothing like it used to be. Where every town had a foundry and workshops, making and fixing all kinds of stuff large and small.

I yearn to go back to when life was simpler, when you could open a car bonnet,for example, know what was happening in there and stand a good chance of fixing it.

. I yearn to go back to when life was simpler, when you could open a car bonnet,for example, know what was happening in there and stand a good chance of fixing it.

Me too.:-D

Me too.:-D

Thought you were a mechanic and knew what was happening under a bonnet CW?

In all fairness modern vehicles don't need anything like the attention of the old stuff. Remember my first car and always having to be under the bonnet adjusting points, carb, cleaning plugs etc. Trouble is they get to an age were a sensor or electronic component lets go and that's it, throw it away.

Can't see much modern stuff being persevered with in 60 years time. Few people will be interested in re-making the parts for them. Look at the old stuff, simple and rugged, nothing complicated it could be made/re-made to go on forever.

Can't see much modern stuff being persevered with in 60 years time. Few people will be interested in re-making the parts for them. Look at the old stuff, simple and rugged, nothing complicated it could be made/re-made to go on forever.

so what's going to happen when current military vehicles get into collectors hands? i assume they are stuffed full of electronics and even engine manegement systems? Or will all that be stripped out before disposal?

so what's going to happen when current military vehicles get into collectors hands? i assume they are stuffed full of electronics and even engine manegement systems? Or will all that be stripped out before disposal?

I believe some of the latest military trucks have full complicated electronic management systems, modern high pressure injectors and such to comply with emmissions regulations. If they were to be stripped out they couldn't run.

Mike,

I doubt much of it will get in to collectors hands for a long time yet, if ever. It'll be at least 20 years before we can get hold of the MAN trucks. Any of the newer armour is unlikely to be released at all, I would expect the Warriors, Challenger 2s etc to all go abroad much like the Challenger 1s did. CVR(T) has just had another upgrade and they are still convering 432s to Mk so none of these will be released for a good few years either.

They tried to keep the electronics on the Land Rover Wolf to a minimum to make it easier to repair in the field, there is nowhere to plug a computer in, but you'll have to wait a long time for any more of these to be released too.

Chris

I remember when we made the whole plane.Every pan you sat on anywhere in the world had Shire Lynx or Thomas crapper written on it.

Every knife and fork had Sheffield steel stamped in it.Steam engines were exported all over the world.Steam ships were built ,dismantled ,shipped then re assembled for inland lakes. Remember the shipbuilding yards,all those proud men,boilermakers,etc,etc.All i see now is vast areas of concrete,derlict bldngs.and skilled men to old to retrain,and not a hope in hell of getting of the doll.I am not a great believer in empire when it comes to poking our noses in other people business ,but what an empire we had,ok all built on low wages and some child labour,but thats history.:sweat: