Austin K2 Ambulance in Malta

MHVT

I am pleased to announce that the Malta Historic Vehicles Trust has just acquired the remains of a 1940 Austin K2 ambulance. Only two remain on the island, one belongs to Heritage Malta, which is a government culture preservation department and the new find belonging to MHVT.

The Austin and the Fordson ex-raf fire tender in the photo is the one owned by Heritage Malta, photos of the MHVT one are to follow

GetAttachmentCATGVN11.jpg

Hi,

it is wery interesting. Do you have any more pictures and any information about this Ambulances (chasis No.)? One is in the Ambulance register, I have the pictures at home. The second one is new barn find?

Cheers Radek

The one in the photo belong to the government and therefore I have no access to the vehicle. But the barn find which has been bought by MHVT is going to be recovered next Friday. I will get you some photos and hopefully chassis numbers. But regarding condition; unfortunately the Maltese weather, although warm is very humid and does not do any good to the steel, the chassis is fine but the rest will need alot of patience and swearing

Malcolm

maltahistoricvehicles.com

Hi Malcolm,

don´t wory I have recovered another one K2/Y from the Paris barn at begin of the May.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=11841

I have only this picture of the Malta museum K2/Y.

The yours K2/Y is, what I know, the 4th what was descavered this year. :-)

1st I have bought in Australia (chasis with cab), now I have to sold she

2nd I have bring from Holand (running chasis)

3th from Paris

4th yours in Malta

Until this year was know alive only 55 Ambulances aroung the world.

Radek

Ambulance No 26 National War Museum.jpg

As promised photos of the ambulance from malta. You might notice that there's nothing left from the ambulance body.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

I wouldn´t take the illusion, but how can you identify that it is the Austin K2/Y Ambulance.

On the chassis is lorry cab, it looks like as GS lorry.

1st, take the measures of the chassis!! It looks like the K2 chassis or any more. The K2 has 192" and the K3 has 225" and 6/16"

2nd, find the shock suspenders, or the holes for the suspenders on the chasis, the axles have for the suspenders the eyes. Only the K2/Y Ambulance theyr have.

3th, the chassis No. will help more

Radek

DSCN1414.jpg

Edited by Radek

Hey guys, I have checked the dimensions of the chassis and it is infact a K2. Don't mind the cab, in Malta you will find bedfords with austin cabs, leylands with isuzu cabs. fords with toyota engines etc... In Malta nothing is standard.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

well. :-)

and what the shock absorbers?! They are on bouth axles.

Don´t worry, I know what it is when somebody make the lorry to own demension and look. :-)

Radek

Hey guys, I have checked the dimensions of the chassis and it is infact a K2. Don't mind the cab, in Malta you will find bedfords with austin cabs, leylands with isuzu cabs. fords with toyota engines etc... In Malta nothing is standard.

Malcolm

DSCN1414a.jpg

• 9 months later...
Hi Malcolm

I wouldn´t take the illusion, but how can you identify that it is the Austin K2/Y Ambulance.

On the chassis is lorry cab, it looks like as GS lorry.

1st, take the measures of the chassis!! It looks like the K2 chassis or any more. The K2 has 192" and the K3 has 225" and 6/16"

2nd, find the shock suspenders, or the holes for the suspenders on the chasis, the axles have for the suspenders the eyes. Only the K2/Y Ambulance theyr have.

3th, the chassis No. will help more

Radek

Hi Radek, AUSTIN K2/A GS is the same chassis as K2Y with shocks fitted like the ambulance

Interestingly I believe the k2A was supplied mainly to the RAF for airfield use, as only one fuel tank, Is the Malta K2 a k2/A as this makes it more rare than an ambulance, it is marked RAF, this should be checked before ripping it into an ambulance regards LOFTY-----on looking again at pictures it has no drivers side fuel tank straps, will bet it turns out to be a k2A very rare, dont spoil it.

Edited by k2lofty
I HAVE LOOKED AGAINAT PICTURESIN MALTA

Hi Radek, AUSTIN K2/A GS is the same chassis as K2Y with shocks fitted like the ambulance

Interestingly I believe the k2A was supplied mainly to the RAF for airfield use, as only one fuel tank, Is the Malta K2 a k2/A as this makes it more rare than an ambulance, it is marked RAF, this should be checked before ripping it into an ambulance regards LOFTY-----on looking again at pictures it has no drivers side fuel tank straps, will bet it turns out to be a k2A very rare, dont spoil it.

Hi Folks, we visited Malta a few years ago, we are a group of MVT members from the North Staffordshire Area. We were received by your group and given a fantastic time whilst on the island. We saw lots of your stuff and travelled around some of your members homes. I remember one in particular where the guy was restoring a fabulous Canadian Dodge (Long nose tipper? ) all that was missing to complete the restoration were the inner door linings............ we had a fabulous time, all down to the hospitality of your members. You are correct when you say that nothing is standard with vehicles in Malta.... I found the buses fascinating.

Regards from a very grateful group of people.:cool2:

I am pleased to announce that the Malta Historic Vehicles Trust has just acquired the remains of a 1940 Austin K2 ambulance. Only two remain on the island, one belongs to Heritage Malta, which is a government culture preservation department and the new find belonging to MHVT.

The Austin and the Fordson ex-raf fire tender in the photo is the one owned by Heritage Malta, photos of the MHVT one are to follow

Read K2 Lofty, thank you.