Original Vehicle Photos

Jessie The Jeep

For those who have repainted their vehicles and changed the markings or remarked it in it's original markings, did you base the numbers on chassis numbers and records, or photographs of the original vehicle?

While my Jeep is an M201, due to my interest in the 100th BG, it was repainted into a 100th Airbase Jeep. After searching through my own 100th records and those of the 100th BG Foundation, I could only find one Jeep which had more than one photo of it. Even then, there wasn't complete coverage. Every other 100th Jeep pictured, only had one photo taken of it.

Three pictures were found in the end of Jeep # 2078036, and this was the sole reason for copying this Jeep, and by associating the personel in the pictures to their Squadron, I made the assumption that the vehicle was also from that squadron to get the bumper markings.

These are the three pictures I found.

ww2jeepa.jpg

ww2jeepb.JPG

100thc.jpg

I'm interested in the last picture for what looks like a wind deflector?? fastened to the side of the screen.

So has anyone else got original photos they based their restorations on, or any original wartime photos of their actual vehicle?

Steve

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Hi Steve,

Both my Dodges have their original markings intact,the Command Car was with the 1229th Quartermaster Co,467th Bomb Group at Rackheath and I have original photos of it which were sent to me by the CO of the 1229th.they were a small unit of 50 men and two vehicles,a Jeep and the Command Car.

The Weapons Carrier was with the 854th Bomb Squadron engineering section.but I don't have any original photos of it.

My CCKW compressor truck had no original markings so it's probably going to wear the markings of the 341st engineer regiment who were involved in the construction of the ALCAN highway and later in the war served in europe.

Matt.

I changed my jeep markings from US (on when I bought it), to british.

I belong to a re-enactment group who portray MP's attached to 3rd Inf. div. I found some phot's of a 3rd Div jeep on D-day, so I copied the serial no. onto my jeep.

I also christened my jeep "Kitty" after my mum's mum (my grandmother!)

Hi all,

when my jeep was restored in the 1970`s the only markings were for the 3 rd. inf which it still carries.

It is named LIL`HARRY`after the previouse owners grandfather who served in WW2 in the signals.

Untill i finally decide what i intend to portray i will keep it as such.

Ashley