Centurion development.

antarmike

Several books claim that AEC Southall were given the task of assembling the first Centurion/ developing the Centurion.

AEC's publication, "Contribution to Victory" makes no mention of Centurion. For those who don't know, this was a promotional booklet, detailing AEC's part in winning the war.

I have asked questions in the AEC Society Gazette, (when I was a member) asking if anyone could confirm AEC's role in early Centurion (A41) development. No-one came forward with any form of a reply. (AEC society has quite a few ex employee's in its ranks. so I was hopeful).

Can anyone on this forum, confirm, or deny that AEC piloted Centurion into production?

Edited by antarmike

A,J. SDmithers "Rude mechanicals" has AEC as the builder of the first A41,

Jane's World Armoured Fighting vehicles Christopher Foss has AEC as being involve in 1944 , and claims the first mock up was completed that year, It says six prototypes were then built, . The A41 became centuion 1, A41A became Centurion 2 with a 17 pounder.

But doesn't go as far as saying whether AEC built the 6 prototypes in addition to the mock up.

The illustrated Encyclopedia of Military Vehicles Hogg/ Weeks

says the spec was laid down in Feb 1944, The mock up made by May 1944 and 20 pilot models were ordered, the first 6 production amchines were rushed out to Germany in May 1945. This book dates the Mk2 to 1946. It lists the makers as Associated Equipment Co (AEC) Southall, Leyland Motors Ltd, ROF at Leeds, and Vickers, Elswick.