Bedford MW to Normandy (via N Africa!)

Carruthers

Hi Rippo,

Thanks for your kind comments

I've seen plenty of others that look just like it... The 2 main differences that seems to crop up are the tailboard hinge type, either set out slightly like mine or a rolled version which sits right on the bottom angled bracket. Other dif is the shape of the vertical strengtheners on the tailgate. Mine has a T shape with the horizontal part (which picks up the locking pin) welded on to the vertical. Others have a curved bar which was obviously more involved to produce. My WOT had the same metal work. There was a definate change when the infantry body was superceded by the later GS version without the drop sides. Maybe that's where the anomily is? Is that what you mean, or have I missed the point.

It will look like this for about another month........ so if anyone fancies owning a desert truck, please say so!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF it wasn't so cold to work on it more (but didn't stop me last few days at minus 2 degs!!) it would have moved on a bit more, but it will be there for Campaign 44 at Chiltern Open Air Museum at the and of March with another MW and a Morris doing 2nd TAF RAF Liaison/ R. Sigs in Normandy. Looking forward to a 3 Brit truck convoy!!

Simon

yeah thats what i mean, the tail board mainly, a couple of other things are missing to. I've only ever noticed the rolled type but who to say what was used. The bodies all came from the same manufacturer so should have been the same. when the hinged body was done away with it was the hooks and hinges that changed the rest stayed the same.

[

All the changes were, or seem to be, economy measures. Easier to do the welded angled strip hinge than the rolled one etc. The tool box is missing off the O/S rear so that may make the truck look different. Obviously the petrol tank on that side wasn't fitted at the time the pic was taken!! Otherwise it should be all correct....

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the resto, here are before and after pix of the air cleaner assy. Need to replace the rubber hose next then when the respray is sorted I can assemble it onto the engine. I decided to go with your advice Richard, I spray it green...

airfilterpartsdec08.jpg

aircleanerassy.jpg

I'll post some pix of the completed rifle bracket which is now completed and just needs spraying. OS rear brake was seized so that came apart without too much trouble. The actual hydraulic part which bolts to the outside of the brake plate had been replaced only recently, judging by the condition, but the pistons in the internal casting were seized so it all had to come apart. Here it is ready to re-assemble

rearbrakes1.jpg

• 11 months later...

About a year since I last posted about my MW. This is the Normandy bit! I've spent the last few months doing all the little jobs that need to get the lorry completed, so the side lights are indicators, but still look like side lights, and it has some insignia too. Runs and drives great... New windsheild glass, canvas and headlamp glass and about twice as much paint as I thought!! Many, many cold hours spent making it how i wanted it.

And sold to the first guy who saw it........

Simon

finishedfeb0911.jpg

finishedfeb099.jpg

finishedfeb095.jpg