Bedford MW to Normandy (via N Africa!)

Carruthers

Hi Boys,

Before the server crash I posted some photos of the rear body re-build on my Bedford MW. I now have plenty more to add following the resto, if there's interest. Several members saw it in desert colours at W&P inc Richard, John, Andy etc. In fact Richard F saw it for quite a long time as it ended up back at his place in Kent where he and David Lumsdem kindly stashed it for me til Nov!!

I had considered selling it, although it needed some more work, ie front and rear canvas, rear hoops, brakes needed sorting plus wiring up, so nothing major but still in terms of completeness it still had a way to go....

I have decided to RE-finish as a Normandy theatre vehicle which it would be been anyway, being a Feb 1944 production, so I'm now sanding back to desert sand colour (yes, I know!!!) so it will be OD and concrete MM finish and will be ready to go to the shows, and then if it gets any interest I know it's a good truck, completely sorted and I can sell it with a light heart. Frankly in this climbate I don't think it's likely, so at least I can enjoy it instead of sitting on a mostly finished truck, which is no good to anyone.

I bought the MW from Peter Gaine Nov 07 with a view to restoring it as a desert truck circa 41-42. I always wanted a desert truck, and the combination if looking at Milweb everyday and watching 'The Way Ahead' too many times is a bad combination when one suddenly appears for sale!!!!

The MW ran very nicely (not off the fuel tanks though) and was a rolling chassis with the cab bulkhead in place. The rest was piled in the back and the body was pretty much gone with plenty of rot and no floor. Someone had sawn bits of the cab woodwork off and I had 2 or 3 of some bits and none of other parts.

It reminded me if buying a 'started' Airfix Lancaster kit cheap off a lad at school which had the instructions missing, some parts lost and bits of a Henschel 126 added in to make up the difference. My experience with several bikes, Jeeps, Morris C8/C4 etc was going to help to a point.

Piece of cake really......... urgh!

Simon

Pix to follow

I think you may be pleasantly surprised if you do decide to sell, the MW is a nice little truck that is always in demand and quality vehicles will always sell irrespective of the financial climate. I'm sure Richard F. will confim this. Good luck with it whatever you decide to do.

Yes it was for sale at Beltring. I thought I might as well put a sign up whilst it was there, although I wasn't on the display much... Much rather keep it!!

Here's the original pic of the body and some of the reconstruction

rearbodyframe001.jpg

rearbodyframe004.jpg

rearbodyjan08003.jpg

rearbodyframe.jpg

wheelarchapril2.jpg

june085.jpg

Somoe more of the rest of the truck to follow

I think you may be pleasantly surprised if you do decide to sell, the MW is a nice little truck that is always in demand and quality vehicles will always sell irrespective of the financial climate. I'm sure Richard F. will confim this. Good luck with it whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for your kind comments Degs. I think you're right. If it's a nice truck they'll be no probs. Completeness is crutial to some buyers who just want to drive, but others will be happy to pay less and do some work themselves. It depends on their facilities and skill level or just confidence. I started off with a low initial cost but had plenty of work to do, but I enjoy the project so I can say I've done it and put another old machine on the road. As you can see formt he pix the body wasn't really there but it was very interesting to do, and I could do another much quicker knowing what i know now.

I think the MW is desirable too, with good top speed and parts available. Anyway we'll see when it's done if I get any takers!!! Hopefully I can hang on to it for a few shows first!

Simon

Simon,

Those body photos are very useful, thanks for posting. I have a pile of wood to build a new body for mine once I get the remaining original metal work blasted.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have a load more I could put on a disc for you if it would help. Also dimensions etc. they're not complicated to build, but very heavy, even in component form!! I have followed the original construction sizes and methods so the pix should be an accurate guide. Also the coach bolts and screws all came from Screwfix in boxes of 100, and are cheap too.

Simon

Simon,

That would be great, I'll PM you my address. We measured up Rippos truck and what was left of mine, but they all seem to be slightly different. We've nearly finished the hardwood base frame, just got all the edges of the planks to chamfur before we can start building. I've got hold of as many whitworth coach bolts as I can find, I'd like to keep the original square nuts. Screwfix have just stopped doing those screws, luckily there was a cheap stockist on the internet so have ordered plenty.

There are some pics of my donor truck here!

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=10384

Chris

Happy to assist Chris. After seeing your wreckage, er I mean project, you've got a job on there!!! Do you know about John Morter the Bedford dealer. Top bloke and lives 10 mins form me so if you need bits etc and can always gfo ansd see him for you if necessary

Simon

Hi Simon,

its nice pictures MW body,

thank you !:tup::

Im enthusiast for Bedford MW,

Have ex-MWG (think), ex-MWC and orig MWC,

search info about MWG, have only one picture with 20mm gun.

for MWG I make new body(1995), but only by pictures(first time),

lete make new body, think is much better.:-D

From this ex-MWC(from Poland)is only chassis, axles, steering,cab was from OY(!)

have project re-build this car to MWD 1943,

search parts, and info for good work

regards

Tomas Higgins

www.fotoalbum.eu/higgins

Here is pictures

ex-MWC from Poland(cab OY, engine, gearbox, radiator russian GAZ 61),

picture from Czech movie "Sky riders"(Nebeští jezci) 1967 ,

Bedford MWD but think with Austin cab(!), many years search info what happen with this car "movie star"?

And my ex-MWG with new second body,

Higgins

Czech rep.

http://www.fotoalbum.eu/higgins

Snímek 034.jpg

Snímek 059.jpg

Snímek 072.jpg

my Bed MWD 1943.jpg

Hi Simon,

you know in central Europe is problem search parts for British war time vehicles, here is all in metrick dimension and german and russian.

Send picture my first MW, first day in 1995, it was wreck,

but you see in detail orig. white star on door, army number, red HQ coy,

and on mudguards "51" first tank battalion and Czech lion badge-

badge CIABG -Czechoslovak independent armoured brigade group

this car landing in second valve in Normandy.

last picture is identical car may 2008, celebration end of war Pilsen town

(I little change unit, for my re-enacment group on "A"coy, motorbattalion)

good work on yours MWD!

Tomas

00000034.jpg

00000035.jpg

00000036.jpg

IMG_5842.jpg

Here's some more of the work I'm doing at the moment. The brake master cylinder was solid due to a torn seal. It was pretty filthy too, so it was removed and dismantled, new seals bought from John Morter ( bedford spares guy) everything was thoroughly cleaned inside and out plus a littlew honing to tidy up the bore. The case casting and extranal bits were all taken back down tot he metal, primed and given two coats of OD.

Holbirthday08001.jpg

Holbirthday08004.jpg

Today I made up the cab rear gutter which the canvas lower edge drops into. As the folder I was using is only 5 ft long I couldn't do it in one piece so I made up to and will cut them down once they are offered up to the cab, and weld them up in the middle. After the join is filled and sanded you won't see it. For anyone wanting the dimensions, they appear to be 3" deep and 2" wide with a std 3/8" return along the front and rear top edge. Easy with my mate's big metal folder, pretty well impossible without one. Where it exits the cab each flange is returned about 3/8". I've seen them both spot welded and screwed.

Holbirthday08006.jpg

Hi Rippo,

chassis have no. MWG(?)55440,

in book about military Bedfords is this number build in 1943

i first time thing it was ex- MWC,

but rear sprink is MWD ,not strong as in MWC,

and with car was wreck wood body with few orig.metal parts

and on body was very heavy metal mudguards(!),

i think its not original,

but is one war time picture MWG with 20mm gun,

and this MWG have this special rear mudguards,

(MWD is without metal rear mudguards)

I dont know, its question, Im with out more info about MWG model,

This my second MW was 100% ex -MWC water tank,

on chassis is MWC ?????, becouse corrosion

regards

Tomas

hello tomas,

It is a 1943 chassis number. It is your early bush bar and more so the early type vokes air filter you have that made me think it was earlier but again i learn something new.

Have you seen any more of these air filters on your travels?

A MWG would have been an anti aircraft carrage the first of two orders were placed mid 1942, S1969 WD No's Z4893958-981, and V2738 WD no's Z5194299-498. I guess yours would have come from the second batch. Is the Z number on your truck original? or is it a made up one. if the pictures i have the mud guards look the same on the mwg and mwd, i can't see why the mwg would have thicker ones.

Its Strange my MW was produced in 1940 on contract number V3733, yet these mwg's are produced on V2748 years after, i would have thought the numbers would go up.

Edited by rippo

• 3 weeks later...
Several members saw it in desert colours at W&P

*snip*

I have decided to RE-finish as a Normandy theatre vehicle which it would be been anyway, being a Feb 1944 production, so I'm now sanding back to desert sand colour (yes, I know!!!) so it will be OD and concrete MM finish and will be ready to go to the shows,

Simon,

I presume this is your MW? (Pic found on the internet somewhere.) Looks great in desert sand (Light Stone?)

Regards,

Hanno

05145.jpg

I remember that one, it's the towing eyes on the front that make it stand out. I also remember it from petes yard, under a blue sheet on the far side, that was in a bad way, you have made a nice job of it. I like the front tyres, bet they make lovely sound.

The tailgate has funny iron work on it, i'm not saying it isn't original, but i've not seen many like that one, has anyone else? or have any idea why it's different?

Nice pic but it's not my truck!! Here it is at Beltring last year, although it looks quite different now ie it's almost finished!!!

Thanks for sharing these pics, I love the MW in desert colours. Here´s another one:

http://ccmv.fotopic.net/p52952571.html

"1941 Bedford MWD 15cwt GS 4x2 Highland Div 8th Army at MAM 2006. (Peter Skerry)"

Almost finished, as in: it will now no longer stand out from the endless rows of mickey mouse camouflaged Bedfords? ;)

Just kidding of course, keep up the good work!

- Hanno

Edited by mcspool