Was there a 'standard' reconditioning procedure?

No Signals

Just for info my re-build plate is the same date as yours: 2-50!! The plate notes that all components are at std, so it couldn't have had much use til then. My engine number is

OY 24514 R and this is of a Feb 1944 MW. Were all MW engines OY prefixed?

Simon

Hi Simon,

The suffix "R" on the engine number denotes it is a rebuild and unless the cyl block had been linered, I would say it was a new block and the OY engine number transfered from the scrap block. This was common procedure. It just could have been a new short engine assembly if it had a Std size crank as well. The fact that an engine number was OY yet fitted to an MW, means little as it is basicly the same engine and without checking, is more than likely under the same part number when ordering replacement units. The odd one amongst Bedford engines was the QL, the block had no oil strainer tube in it, like the OY / MW, so you will not see a QL number on an engine in an OY, etc.

Whereabouts for the stamping? I'm sure there is nothing else on the head but the block I am still giving the once over. Never know, might be some pattern to this.

The head is stamped on the flat face for the rocker cover and the block is stamped along the back of cylinder block above the bell housing.

Cheers