Who owns uas 702?

rippo

Hello,

Was searching around the internet and i came across this bedford mw,

kemble06026.jpg

And it was a owners blog on here, so the owner of this one is a member of the forum. From the number on the bonnet it is from the same batch as mine, so if i can get in contact with the owner i might be able to work my number from his.

I was just on my way out and thought i'd be able to find the link again, but alass i've searched the same terms again but i can't find it.

Can any one point me in the right direction, the onwer also had a gmc.

Hello,

From the number on the bonnet it is from the same batch as mine, so if i can get in contact with the owner i might be able to work my number from his.

Hi Rippo,

You may not be so lucky as to be able to work back or forward from his chassis number to find your census number. When researching my Bedford, it was found by looking at a bunch of Key Cards, that the census numbers were not issued in order of chassis numbers. Some makes of vehicles were, and it might be that it was all done before leaving the factory, but my QL, and I doubt it is any different for a MW, was a nightmare to work out. My theory is that the numbering was done after they arrived at the Vehicle Storage Depots, some could have been held back for reject work or bodywork at another site, etc. If you were to look at one Key Card, you may well find there to be no logical order to those listed on it.

Hi Rippo,

You may not be so lucky as to be able to work back or forward from his chassis number to find your census number. When researching my Bedford, it was found by looking at a bunch of Key Cards, that the census numbers were not issued in order of chassis numbers. Some makes of vehicles were, and it might be that it was all done before leaving the factory, but my QL, and I doubt it is any different for a MW, was a nightmare to work out. My theory is that the numbering was done after they arrived at the Vehicle Storage Depots, some could have been held back for reject work or bodywork at another site, etc. If you were to look at one Key Card, you may well find there to be no logical order to those listed on it.

yeah your bang on mate, i realise this but its the only way i can see to get somewhere around the correct number. The only other options would be to make a number up, or leave it without one all together.

yeah your bang on mate, i realise this but its the only way i can see to get somewhere around the correct number. The only other options would be to make a number up, or leave it without one all together.

Rippo,

Between you and me, the number on my QL is not quite right, it is within 100, so pretty close. It was sold off to Danish Army after the war and before the re-numbering started. Key Cards only list those that were re-numbered, so Beverley sent me four pages so that I could cross check to get as near as possible.

Thanks richard i appreciate your reply's. I chased a number of danish qls but never got to them soon enough. Is there any chance the rlc would let me spend the day looking through there records? i've got the original engine number too so might be able to get closer if i could. I know mike from leeds got all the history for his from there and i think his is from the same batch as mine.

I've narrowed it down to 3500 numbers!!!!

I suppose the best way would to be find it under the paint somewhere. The last person to restore mine took most of the old paint off with a orbtal sander so i don't think i'll find much. Also the strange thing is i haven't come across many civilian colours where there has been patches of original paint. From the metal up i've got red oxide or black primer, olive drab, a sandy colour and light blue and then from the last restoration red oxide and the bronze green its finished in now.

There was an early mw used at the welsh mountain zoo. We went to see it about 20 years and i seem to remember that being light blue, maybe i should put a post up see if anyone remembers it.

Edited by rippo

degsy,

Thanks i'd appreciate that, the fella that had it, when we saw it, lived just down the road from the zoo itself, i think he'd got it from there but like i say it's probably 20 years ago now so my memorys a bit sketchy, but i'm certain it was used at the zoo. :tup::