Spam PM!??

Enigma

Sorry about this chaps, just realised what's going on..

When a new member joins they now have to be manually approved before they can post, but we have just become aware that they can still send PM's while waiting for approval, I usually catch the spammers before they get a chance to & ban them straight away... I have left a note for Joris in the office to see if he can throw a switch & change this...

We are getting hit with 30-50 new spammers every day :argh:

I'd suggest a temporary fix might be to restrict the membership list to fully approved members, then?

That's what I just said ;)

I have left a note for Joris in the office to see if he can throw a switch & change this...

The forum is already restricted to fully approved members but the PM bit seems to of changed recently... maybe in an upgrade

Ok think we may be on top of this now, Joris has tweaked some settings & we have taken additional steps to protect the forum, since we have done this today we have had only genuine requests to join the forum.

We will still probably get the odd spammer slip through the net as we can only carry out certain checks before approving memberships...

Yesterday I got a SPAM e-mail on my hotmail account from somebody touting for members for the Military Vehicles Worldwide Network (mailto:invitations@************)

I couldn't help but wonder if somebody had joined this forum and trawled all the e-mail addresses. I can forward the offending e-mail to a real address if anyone wants to take action.

Edited by Marmite!!

Yes we are aware of them & are watching that they do not try to access members details, emails addresses are secure unless you choose to make them public as you have done...

I couldn't help but wonder if somebody had joined this forum and trawled all the e-mail addresses. I can forward the offending e-mail to a real address if anyone wants to take action.

Please forward to info@bunkerbash.co.uk

Edited by Marmite!!