WW2 British Truck Q's

tyler

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows the answers to these Q's:

Is there anyone who makes Repro British canvas water buckets and if so Where can I buy a British canvas water bucket from?

Does anyone make/sell Traficators.

Are WW2 blackout driving lamps easy to come across.

British Hessian camo netting is a different pattern to U.S. netting isn't it?

What if any personal sidearms would the driver/co driver of had?

Would the co driver have used standard issue bino's for observation using the observers hatch (if fitted)?

What type of tow hitch would have been fitted to British 3/4 ton lorrys, would it have been a WW2 British version of the NATO hitch?

What uniform would have been worn by the drivers/co drivers?

Were all WW2 vehicles/lorrys fitted with War Department type wheel rims, or were they fitted with Civi wheel rims (if civilian type built for the Army etc)?

Also would civi patterrn tyres have been replaced by WD pattern tyres?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks.

Tyler.

Tyler,

I have been into WW2 British lorries for years, so hope to answer most of your Q's, assume we are talking Austin here,

Buckets can be found, just look at shows such as Beltring, warning do not hang it on the back, evidently it means something, according to a thread on here!

Trafficators, they were not electric, it was one only on the nearside attached to cab to rear of cab door, operated by a handle and rods above drivers door.

Headlamps, you want a pair of Butler blackout lights, new ones are seen on stalls, try RR Services, they did have some.

Cam net, nearest I have seen to WW2 Brit is ex-Dutch army and even that was a little dark.

Tow hitch was a hook with a sprung loaded latch, handle either side, drop drawbar over it and it locks in. Standard fitting on 3 ton upward.

Early ww2 lorries were often on civvy wheels and twin rears as yours, there is a K3 in Kent similar. He is running road tyres, bar tread or track grip would be hard to find in that size.

Hope that is of help.

Richard

Is there anyone who makes Repro British canvas water buckets and if so Where can I buy a British canvas water bucket from?

Does anyone make/sell Traficators.

Are WW2 blackout driving lamps easy to come across.

British Hessian camo netting is a different pattern to U.S. netting isn't it?

What if any personal sidearms would the driver/co driver of had?

Would the co driver have used standard issue bino's for observation using the observers hatch (if fitted)?

What type of tow hitch would have been fitted to British 3/4 ton lorrys, would it have been a WW2 British version of the NATO hitch?

What uniform would have been worn by the drivers/co drivers?

Were all WW2 vehicles/lorrys fitted with War Department type wheel rims, or were they fitted with Civi wheel rims (if civilian type built for the Army etc)?

Also would civi patterrn tyres have been replaced by WD pattern tyres?

Hi Richard, thanks for the help, 00EC25 thanks, I'll give him a call today, hopefully Marcus Glenn still has some.

Can anyone tell me the going rate for these lights?

Thanks.

Tyler.

Hi, Ive got some more Q's mainly markings related, so here goes,

Also Ive seen a few wartime/show pics of push bikes hanging off trucks was this fairly common?

Refering to the above Q, what origin would the bikes have been e.g. civi or mil?

Did all/most trucks etc have their TP (Tyre Pressures) stenciled on the mudguards?

My Austin K4 has the ringed allied star painted on the roof, would it need a star painting on both sides of the truck, or was this only done on front line vehicles?

Relating to the above Q, if a obsrevation ring was fitted to the roof of the truck where would the ringed allied star go, would it have been moved to one side of the roof or would it have been moved to the bonnet?

Would fuel tanks have had their capacity/fuel type etc stenciled onto them?

I have seen Antifreeze type/capacity + date stenciled onto the bonnets of GMC's but was it comman and was it also done on British trucks?

Were all wartime British vehicles fitted with fire extinguishers?

Thanks.

Tyler.

• 2 weeks later...