Grandad's photos of the war in North Africa

Rlangham

Not sure where the best place to put these was, as they cover vehicles, artillery and aviation! Feel free to move it if deemed neccessary.

Although my Grandad was lucky enough to survive the war, despite some very very close shaves. Served with 200 Battery 68th Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment at first (turns out the Germans didn't like 3.7inch heavy anti aircraft guns blasting away Panzers at Tobruk, and he was on one of the last trucks out after his Regiment was wiped out), then served in the 69th during Italy, he died around a year before I was born, so never got to meet him. Hope these are of interest

Anecdotes include him making the front page of the local paper (dad has a copy back home) of him meeting his wife's brother (in Cairo IIRC), on christmas day in the desert him and the gun crew being served up with a huge trifle, the top covered in flies. No one wanted their portion, so he had theirs, simply scooping the fly covered top off and eating the rest!

army1we9.jpg

My Grandad, Frederick Albert Langham, but always known as Albert

army2vi0.jpg

In front of a 3 ton truck

army6yu6.jpg

Good photo showing pup tent, rear wheels from 3.7inch gun and a CMP truck in the background

army11dm6.jpg

Not sure how many men here, possibly the whole battery? Vehicles in the background are three AEC Matador's, used to tow the 3.7inch guns

army12qt4.jpg

P40 'Kittyhawk' fighter

army13ar0.jpg

B24 'Liberator' bomber

army15bz6.jpg

Barrage balloon, and a Fordson WOT2 15 cwt truck on the ground

army25my1.jpg

Gun crew, showing the 3.7inch gun - Grandad kneeling on the left

army33qu5.jpg

Marmon Herrington armoured car, without any armament

pyramidslm0.jpg

In front of a pyramid

tankfv5.jpg

British Valentine tank, captured by the Germans and then re-captured by the British

teabreakgw4.jpg

Tea break at Tobruk

wogarmyrr5.jpg

Simply captioned 'Wog Army' - always thought it was a weird coincedence that the guy on my Grandad's left looks just like him

Would you just love that for your collection young scribe! I think these troops are East African Rifles. They don't look like Somalis but they are just like all the other Askari. This is a wonderful picture along with all the others.Thanks a million for sharing them with us.