What is this 3

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

wickhamstargettrolley.jpg

Ha ha, well aquainted with them, it is a Wickham trolley, armoured plated and a target was mounted on top. The run on narrow guage rails across ranges. Powered by a 1300 cc JAP v-twin side valve with a fluid flywheel. The engine was started at the end of the line and set off on its own, there are levers and links underneath that catch on trips in the track that knock the throttle off and apply the brakes. They used some on Lydd Ranges and we had them up in the workshops to overhaul periodically. One of them was often "driven" back to the starting point pulling the others with it and could get a good turn of speed. The engines sound great. I think one ended up at Beverly museum, perhaps that is where the photo came from?

What about this then.

1960.jpg

Sorry about this :).............going by the number plate, I would say Danish army dummy tanks on Universal carriers. One surface locally and after the frame work was removed, it revealed a sound vehicle, except the pulpit part at the front had been cut out, this one looks intact in that area.

Sorry about this :).............going by the number plate, I would say Danish army dummy tanks on Universal carriers. One surface locally and after the frame work was removed, it revealed a sound vehicle, except the pulpit part at the front had been cut out, this one looks intact in that area.

Ok what year:-D

Great details on it. I can't remember which service ranges I saw one on, but it certainly looked familiar. I think Century range at Bisley had a modified one to run the targets from the sheds to the target frames many years ago?

Another one of the varied and interesting jobs that we had come through. They also had at Lydd, some winches for target towing, which I believe were wartime balloon winches as they were driven by Ford V8 and gearbox.

Great details on it. I can't remember which service ranges I saw one on, but it certainly looked familiar. I think Century range at Bisley had a modified one to run the targets from the sheds to the target frames many years ago?

Jules

Interesting bit of kit i wonder how many squadies had a ride when know one was looking :cool2:

What about this then.

1960.jpg

Here is a more recent picture of one. Some of them where actualy used up to around 1968. The army thought that the centurions where a bit to expensive to drive and that they made to much damage to the roads and fields:cool2:.

they where fitted with a mg for firering blanks.

they where not so popular with the crews, and I know of only 3 surviving in Denmark.

They where mostly used by the Royal Hussars and the Dragoons

CIMG1040.jpg

Edited by Niels v