U-boat victim.

Rick W

Just thought I'd share this story with you as me and Mrs W have been doing some delving into family histories.

For the past century relatives on my fathers side have been in the merchant navy at some point or other and last night I came across a name that was on the family tree. With a bit of delving over an hour or 2 I came up with the following.

We had the name of Arthur Whyte who is mentioned as having died in WW2. A quick search on the CWGC website produced this-

In Memory of

Second Engineer Officer ALFRED WILLIAM WHYTE

S.S. Empire Bison (London), Merchant Navy

who died age 60

on 01 November 1940

Son of George and Mary Anna Whyte.

Remembered with honour

TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Tower%20Hill%20Mem.JPG

Commemorated in perpetuity by

the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

A quick google search, I found the mercantile marine forum www.mercantilemarine.org , well worth a visit if you have any questions or want to share any info.

EMPIRE BISON, 5,972grt, built 1919 (South Western Ship Building Co.) as WEST CAWTHON. 1940 purchased by the MOS renamed and managed by Ropner Shipping Co. Ltd. Torpedoed and sunk by U-124 400 miles West of Rockall on the 1st November 1940 sailing independently from Baltimore to the Clyde via Halifax, Nova Scotia with a cargo of scrap steel and 1 passenger. Captain, 29 crew and 1 DEMS gunner killed. 3 crew and passenger were rescued after 8 and half days adrift on a liferaft by the Danish ship OLGA and landed at Gourock.

Thats quite a lot of info to find and detail, but we delved a bit further and looked into U-Boat U-124 and found a site dedicated to all manner of info on U-Boats. It gives captains, crew lists, kill-lists, ports, ship insignia, everything. www.uboat.net

U-124

Type

IXB

Ordered15 Dec, 1937

Laid down11 Aug, 1939AG Weser, Bremen (werk 956)Launched9 Mar, 1940

Commissioned11 Jun, 1940Kptlt. Georg-Wilhelm Schulz (Knights Cross)Commanders11 Jun, 1940 - 7 Sep, 1941 Kptlt. Georg-Wilhelm Schulz (Knights Cross)8 Sep, 1941 - 2 Apr, 1943 KrvKpt. Johann Mohr (Knights Cross)Career11 patrols11 Jun, 1940 - 1 Aug, 1940 2. Flottille (training)

1 Aug, 1940 - 2 Apr, 1943 2. Flottille (front boat)

Successes46 ships sunk for a total of 219.178 GRT

2 warships sunk for a total of 5.775 tons

4 ships damaged for a total of 30.067 GRTFateSunk 2 April, 1943 west of Oporto, in position 41.02N, 15.39W, by depth charges from the British corvette HMS Stonecrop and the British sloop HMS Black Swan. 53 dead (all hands lost).

The Empire Bisonwas the last ship to be sunk on U-124's first patrol as a new sub. The successes of U-124 are quite remarkable, 46 ships sunk, 2 warships and 4 damaged. This made her captain, Georg-Willhelm Schulz one of Germanys leading U boat Aces.

schulz1.jpg

schulz3.jpg

Ive just put a link for the short biography of Schulz here rather than post it up. It also lists every ship that was a victim of U-124.

http://www.uboat.net/men/schulz.htm

I just thought I would share that with you as i found it fascinating and I was looking for another relatives naval record, and just goes to show what you can find out about your ancestors when you start delving!

Had seen U-Boat.net but did not know the mercantilemarine forum. Will look at it. I pass the Tower Hill monument every day to work. Do you want a snap of your named man from it, Rick? I have two special ships on the memorial - the Arandora Star and the Severn Leigh which I've yarned on about before. Nice pic BTW - is this the one off CWGC?

The U-Boat site is full of good stuff. My dad got heavily into it in his final days and built up an archive of collected resources. It all went with him in 1992.

MB

Hi Rick,

Nice bit of info indeed besides the Knights Cross i see he has also been awarded the Spanish Cross possibly in silver (with out swords ) by the looks of it-the troops were sent to support Franco against the communist,

This war gave the Germans the ability to try out new military tactical practices which they perfected be for 1939.

Ashley

Im not quite sure why this was moved from the research page, but anyway the story continues....

I have been speaking to a chap in Newfoundland who also had a relative aboard the Empire Bison, he kindly emailed me a pic of the ship, though sadly not for inclusion on a website. What he did email me was the registration document for the ship not only that but a photo of the ship in flames a few minutes after it was torpedoed, taken by a crewmember aboard the u-Boat. Brings it all home when you see a photo like that, I will ask him if I can post that pic up. (Have you had any joy yet Snapper?)

• 2 weeks later...

I got sent this photo from a chap in Canada, its the kind of photo that makes you think a bit, especially at this time of year. Its a photo of the Empire Bison being sunk, the photo presumably being taken by the U Boat which toprpedoed her. Not often you get close to relatives like this...

Empire20Bison1.jpg

• 2 months later...

The panel for the Empire Bison faces the bench to the left of centre with the tree coming down behind it. The sun will be on it in the morning. To take this snap U pretty much had to stand with my back to the panel for the Severn Leigh, discussed separately.

For those interested, the building in the background is the former headquarters of the Port of London Authority and is now used regularly as a film set. To it's right is Trinity House, the headquarters of the organisation in control of lighthouses etc. Just round the corner from this is the original London base of Toc H, Tubby Clayton's hostel. I was a boy scout in the building during 1972-4 with 1st City of London, Lord Mayor's Own troop. We were a bunch of animals. All the kids bar me and few others lived on the dockers estates round the London dock. They were hard times as the docks were closing and immigrants were moving in, causing upheaval. Time moves on. I used to enjoy larking around the MN war memorial in those days...ignorance is bliss.

The Great WarMemorial (behind the camera) is a Lutyens design. It should have been built in a grander form up on the Embankment, but this would have entailed the removal of the Bazalgette gate, which offended many people. I've read that one reason was that the 'base sort' of people who would have used the memorial and the well-heeled would not agree with that.

Tower Hill MN.jpg

Edited by Snapper

Sorry it took so long to organise. I had to use the train at the weekend for the first time in ages, while the crashed Toyota is repaired. The light was lovely and it was a fine morning. Unfortunately I did not have a lot of time. Hope these snaps are alright. They're in the archive, so are retrievable at some juncture. But I owe loads already!

M

• 3 years later...